Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube is not working anymore in Safari

Hi.

Since yesterday, Youtube videos are not played on my MacBook Pro. It's a new MacBook pro with Yosemite.

I don't have Flash and don't want to install it because the laptop burns when I watch videos with Flash and the battery is dead too soon.

I only use HTML5, but the videos don't work anymore.

I restarted the computer but nothing changed, I only get a black screen. Not even the adds work.

Any idea?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 9:11 AM

9 replies

Nov 21, 2014 9:18 AM in response to macrojd

I've been having similar issues and I DO have the latest updated version of Flash!

Yet, when I go to Youtube and click on a video, it just sits there circling and won't start. Eventually I get the spinning beachball for some reason.

I have no idea what to do. This just started since I updated to Yosemite.

Right now, I have to open youtube in Firefox. Seems to work just fine there.

Nov 21, 2014 9:59 AM in response to macrojd

Flash Player 15.0.0.223 is the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.

1. System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Delete All

Press the "Delete All" button.

Install Adobe Flash Player.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Download it first.

The next step is important.

Click Safari in the menubar and select “Quit Safari”.

Follow the prompts and install it.

Restart computer. Relaunch Safari.

2. Allow Plug-ins

Safari > Preferences > Security

Internet Plug-ins > "Allow plug-ins"

Enable it.

Mar 1, 2015 11:18 PM in response to macrojd

The FAQ for Clicktoflash states:

What’s up with YouTube in Safari 8?

Starting from Safari 8, YouTube is almost completely Flash-free. As a result, ClickToPlugin should have no effect on YouTube. Nevertheless, by popular request, the YouTube killer in ClickToPlugin includes a hack that forces YouTube to offer the old Flash player. This has the following consequences:

• Users who prefer the default YouTube experience should remove the YouTube killer from the list of killers in ClickToPlugin’s preferences. After the killer has been removed, restart the extension and YouTube will be back to normal.
  • The YouTube killer is incompatible with the AdBlock extension.

I have the adblock extension installed as well which is probably why Youtube doesn't work. Once I commented out the line "killers/YouTube.js" in the extension preference with "//" like below, then restarting the browser, I was able to watch HTML5 Youtube videos in Safari 8.

//killers/YouTube.js

Youtube is not working anymore in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.