Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have updated My Macbook Pro to yosemite 10.10.1 but still unable to remotely screen share to my mac mini using back to my mac.

I have updated My Macbook Pro to yosemite 10.10.1 but still unable to remotely screen share to my mac mini which is also on 10.10.1.

I can see the remote mac in the sidebar and i can file share but i cannot screen share. This used to work perfectly when i was on Mavericks but now i cannot see the screen even when i am on the same wifi network.

When i click on the 'share screen' button it opens up the 'connecting to mac mini' dialogue box but it doesn't connect, instead it just times out and gives me this error:

Connection failed to “Mac mini”.

Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences) is enabled on the computer to which you are attempting to connect. Also make sure your network connection is working properly.

Has anyone figured out a way past this problem?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 12:41 PM

17 replies

Nov 21, 2014 3:11 PM in response to itwasntme187

I'm suffering from this exact same issue. Both my MacBook Pro and Mini were working fine with 10.10 (with intermittent WiFi drop outs on the MacBook) until I got notified of the 10.10.1 update. I installed the update on both machines and now neither can connect to the other. I can't even ping either of them from the other despite the fact they're both on static IPs on the same network. I've not changed any of the network settings from before running the update. I have the VNC app on my iPad and now that can't access either of them. Could it be a DNS thing as a result of the WiFi fix? I've no idea but it's my first guess. Any one else able to add any enligtenment?

Nov 21, 2014 3:44 PM in response to itwasntme187

Check that the Application Firewall is turned off in the Security & Privacy preference pane on the screen-sharing server. If it is, see below.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Nov 21, 2014 4:04 PM in response to Linc Davis

I'd never had the Firewall switched on before, but after following your advice I found that the Mac Mini had it switched on. Both devices now appear in the Shared section in Finder. However, attempting to run Screen Share still results in no connection and the iPad VNC app cannot connect to either of my Macs. I'm just off to test your procedure and will feed back shortly.

Nov 21, 2014 4:45 PM in response to itwasntme187

I've cleared all the Login Items and the only common ones on both machines were iTunesHelper and BitTorrent Sync. So with no Login Items, I currently have both machines able to screen share each other. The VNC app on the iPad still doesn't connect, but I can remotely acess my Mac Mini from my MacBook Pro.

Not sure if it's relevant but on the MacBook it was showing the iTunesHelper app as having the kind Unknown.

Though my Mac Mini can see my MacBook straight away, it takes a while for the MacBook to pickup the Mini. I've been re-adding items and so far it appears that it was the iTunesHelper causing an issue.

Nov 22, 2014 3:09 AM in response to itwasntme187

I set up port forwarding on my router for the Mac Mini and tested the connection from my Office network. Other than my home broadband being horribly slow, I was able to connect to the Mini without any problems.

I have noticed that Screen Sharing is a little more sluggish than it was with Mavericks (connected on my internal network), but I'm able to do everything I need to do with the Mini.

Have you had any success in getting your MacBook and Mini seeing each other?

Nov 23, 2014 11:01 AM in response to RickenBacker197

Well i have tried loads of things now but this is where it stands...

I can see the Mac Mini from the Macbook pro in the sidebar and i can click on it which automatically logs me in and shows the drives and files on the mac mini. This works from outside the network as well, however i still cannot screen share to the mac mini.

from the other side i can see the Macbook pro from the Mac mini and again it logs me in but this time i can screen share the macbook pro.

now i am baffled why i can connect to the macbook from the mac mini but i cannot screen share the mac mini from the macbook. the firewall is disabled and i tried removing all the login items but got nowhere with it. I also logged out from iCloud on the mac mini and logged back in but still cannot screen share.

Nov 23, 2014 11:21 AM in response to itwasntme187

I had another occurrence of the issue this morning. Neither device could see the other, I couldn't ping anything on the network and Screen Share flatly refused to work. I went back through the process, cleared network settings, restarted both Macs and the frustration started again. Then I had a thought and I restarted my router. Once the router had sprung back to life, everything started working again. So somewhere between shutting down both Macs and restarting them again the following morning, something went awry. Since restarting the router, everything is working as it always has. Even the VNC apps that I've been moaning about have sprung back into life. The connection between devices still feels slower, but it's working.

Nov 23, 2014 12:49 PM in response to RickenBacker197

I have already tried the router, and I'm sure its not that as this issue started after upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite.

Since then i have changed my ISP and router (nothing to do with this) and the issue is still there. I have the latest Airport Extreme which has its own setting for back to my mac built in which is enabled.

The problem i have is that my Mac mini isn't letting me remotely control it.

Nov 29, 2014 6:30 PM in response to itwasntme187

Struggling with this too.

Screen sharing works to the remote computer when the connecting computer is Mavericks (10.9.5). I can connect to the remote computer and access its drive AND screen share (a bit of a delay but still very usable via my home DSL line to the T3 line at work).

Screen sharing DOES NOT work to the remote computer when the connecting computer is Yosemite (10.10.1). Symptom on the Yosemite computer is failure to authenticate.

Back to My Mac (BMM) is turned on both computers.

No firewall on either computer.

Dec 5, 2014 7:26 PM in response to Texas Red Head

I solved my problem by clearing the Keychain (Mac OS>Application>Utilities>Keychain) entries for the remote login to the remote computer (I deleted remote Keychain entries for that remote computer on BOTH the Mavericks and Yosemite boxes which try to login to the remote computer). Both these computer used syncing of Keychain via iCloud and I think that's the connection.

Why drive linking worked (both remote computer could remotely access the remote volume) but Screen Sharing log-in failed I don't know.

Now I can log-in to the remote computer from either the Yosemite or Mavericks box. The first time it worked I needed to enter the username and password into a dialog box, but subsequent logins provided those entries automatically, and all I need do is accepted to default entires now for subsequent logins.

The OLD Keychain login entries for the remote computer must have been partially conflicting.

Red Head

Dec 6, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Texas Red Head

By login I obviously mean screen share. So that penultimate paragraph should read:

Now I can screen share with the remote computer from either the Yosemite or Mavericks box. The first time it worked I needed to enter the username and password into a dialog box, but subsequent screen sharing sessions provided those entries automatically, and all I need do is accepted to default entires now for subsequent screen sharing sessions.

By the way, why can't we edit our previous posts? I use to be able to do that in Apple discussions....

Red Head

I have updated My Macbook Pro to yosemite 10.10.1 but still unable to remotely screen share to my mac mini using back to my mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.