Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I not able to connect to Gmail SMTP server from certain networks only?

When I try to send an email using the Apple Mail App from my Gmail account, there are no issues when I use my home Wifi, but when I do the same from my work network, I am not able to send it and it gets stuck in my outbox. When I Iooked into the connections manager in Mail (picture attached), it shows that Mail could not connect to Gmail's SMTP server. I have tried several things and have found no solutions. My Mac does not have any issues connecting to the Internet other wise from my work network! Any ideas? Thanks.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Apple Mail

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 4:24 PM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2014 9:05 AM in response to kdeepak1984

Hello there kdeepak1984,

From what you describe it seems to me that the settings on the network itself at work ar what is causing an issue with your connection to your GMail account. Since it works at your home network without issue, that tells me your settings and software on the computer are setup and operating as they should be. So the most likely answer is that a port is being blocked on the work network, preventing a connection to the SMTP server. If possible, you may be able to give the information about port blocking from the following article to the network admin at work to help resolve the issue:

OS X Mail: Troubleshooting sending and receiving email messages

Third-party firewall software, such as Little Snitch or Symantec Norton Personal Firewall, could be blocking the necessary ports. If such software is installed, make sure the firewall is not blocking these ports:

• ports 25, 465, and 587 (for sending email via SMTP)
  • ports 143 and 993 (if you use IMAP email)
  • ports 110 and 995 (if you use POP email)

If you're not sure how to enable the correct ports, try disabling the third-party firewall completely, then test for the Mail issue. Note: The Mac OS X v10.6 firewall does not interfere with ports needed to send email.

Check for Internet Service Provider port blocking

Your Internet Service Provider may be blocking the SMTP ports needed to send email.

You can use Apple's MobileMe service to find out if your Internet Service Provider is blocking the sending email protocol SMTP:

1. Open Network Utility.
  2. Click the "Port Scan" tab.
  3. Enter "smtp.me.com" in the "Enter an Internet or IP address to scan for open ports" field.
  4. Enable "Only test ports between _ and _", and enter 25 for both port fields.
  5. Click "Scan" to test.

If you do not see "Open TCP Port: 25 smtp", contact your Internet Service Provider or visit their support website for further assistance. If you do see "Open TCP Port: 25 smtp", your Internet Service Provider is not blocking the SMTP ports needed to send email. Go to the "'Trying to log in to this (email server provider name) account failed…' message or any other error message appears" section below if the email issue persists.

User uploaded file

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Why am I not able to connect to Gmail SMTP server from certain networks only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.