Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

s.yimg.com virus?

Every time I try to view a vid on Yahoo I get an annoying little screen in the middle of the screen of the vid that reads as follows: s.yimg.com is requesting permission to store information on your computer. Request up to 10 KB. I've never opened or agreed to this request and just click on the button to close it, but it won't close. I've found references to this in relation to pc's as far back as 2012, but not Macs.

I was going to ask Thomas Reed, thesafemac.com about this, but first, can someone here give me advice please?

I have an OSX 10.9.5 and I haven't downloaded Maverick since I read it can really slow your Mac down and mess up the mail. Would anyone recommend Adware Medic for this problem?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), This happened without my knowledge.

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 8:20 PM

It's not a virus. From the menu bar, select

System Preferences... Flash Player Storage

Select either one of the radio buttons marked

Allow sites to save information on this computer
Block all sites from storing information on this computer

7 replies

Nov 21, 2014 8:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for the suggestion. An additional problem is that I don't want to block all sites from storing information on my computer because of passwords set to work automatically to enter websites that I use routinely. If I block all sites from storing information, then my passwords used for convenience won't be allowed, or am I mistaken with this assumption?

Nov 22, 2014 5:25 AM in response to Mini Mac User

The s.yimg.com server belongs to Yahoo, and is not a "virus" or anything else malicious, despite the numerous claims you'll find in various forums that it is a virus.

I'm not sure what it is used for... if I had to guess, I'd guess probably related to serving ads, but that's purely a guess. In any case, though, I'd advise following Linc's advice to block storage of data by Flash apps, which it looks like you've already done.

Nov 22, 2014 8:31 AM in response to thomas_r.

I've been with Yahoo since it started and it's seriously deteriorated to the detriment of users. From your information (thanks so much BTW), I'm positive now that I picked up this s.yimg.com there.

Earlier this year I wound up with problems from a phoney flash player via a lookalike that I accidentally clicked on in haste. What a headache! But Thomas Reed at thesafemac.com was a fantastic help and guided me to eliminate the problem. One of my routers had a universal password on it that left it wide open and I was lucky I only experienced one violation through it. Thomas advised to replace the universal password with my own and I was able to eliminate the pages left by the virus.

In summary, again thanks to you and Linc, it's good to know blocking storage of data by Flash apps does no harm and is preferable - since as I mentioned above, the other problem started via a flash player lookalike.

s.yimg.com virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.