Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay troubleconnecting via wifi

My iTunes is now having problems connecting to my Apple TV an airport express to play music through the speakers. I never had this problem before. If I connect directly to the Airpot Extreme via ethernet there is no problems. My wifi works fine and has an excellent connection. I recently updated to OS 10.10.1 and using latest iTunes. I've never had this problem before. Wondering if it has anything to do with Yosemite update or iTunes that affects how it now connects.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 8:47 PM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2014 11:19 AM in response to jweisbart

Hello jweisbart,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help with AirPlay issues. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice for the issue you are experiencing:

iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

Try these steps first:

1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes.
    • iTunes for Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates

• iTunes for Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates
  2. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices' software is up to date.
  3. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are connected to the same home network.
    Note: Some Wi-Fi network configurations offer a guest network that can block certain Internet services from working or seeing other devices on your home network.

If the AirPlay icon doesn’t appear in iTunes

Ensure that you followed these steps to use AirPlay in iTunes.

If the AirPlay icon User uploaded file still doesn't appear, try one of the following steps:

• If you want to AirPlay to an Apple TV, ensure that AirPlay is enabled on the Apple TV. From the Apple TV main menu, go to Settings > AirPlay. This should be set to On.
  • If you want to AirPlay to an Airport Express, ensure that AirPlay is enabled in the device settings.
  • If you want to AirPlay to a 3rd party AirPlay-enabled device, refer to the user guide.

Troubleshooting performance issues

Wi-Fi Connection

If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your AirPlay-enabled device.

• Ensure that other devices aren't trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
  • Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
  • Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
  • If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
  • Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.

Ethernet Connection

Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.

Learn more

Learn more about troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

airplay troubleconnecting via wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.