Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find, download, and install an older version of the Netflix app?

I was using the Netflix app when it froze up trying to start playing an episode of a TV show. Rebooting my iPhone 5 didn't unfreeze it, so I deleted the app. When I went into the App Store to download it again, it said I had to update to iOS 7.0 or higher in order to download the Netflix app. In the past, the App Store has given me the option to download an older version of the app and this has always fixed any problems I have had with it. Next, I tried logging into iTunes on my laptop (I'm working in Windows, in case that makes a difference) to see if it would give me the option to download an older version of the Netflix app there, but that didn't work either. Finally, I called Netflix's customer support help desk line, but they told me they have no app link to send me and no control over which old editions Apple chooses to offer in the App Store, and that my best bet was to go ask you fine folks if you have any possible solutions.

(The reason I can't simply upgrade from my current setting of iOS 6.1.4 is that when Apple released iOS 7.0, even with adjustments to the color contrast, the reduced motion feature enabled, and sunglasses on, using my iPhone 5 for more than 5 minutes at a time gave me projectile-vomit-inducing migraines that lasted 24 hours each time. I'm disabled so I use my iPhone for pretty much everything, though I would say about 95% of my usage time is watching movies and TV shows on apps like Netflix for entertainment -- distraction is a huge part of my pain control plan, because so few medications help me -- because it's more convenient than using my laptop in bed, both in terms of distance to available power outlets and in terms of how I'm able to position my disabled body most comfortably. So I'm not just being a stupid stubborn girl here, I just couldn't make iOS 7.0 work for my disabled body and I don't currently have the financial resources to trade my iPhone 5 in and go buy an Android smartphone that does work for me...though I'm increasingly suspicious that this may be my only option.)

I tried downloading older Netflix apps compatible with iOS 6.1.4 in various public forums online as one of my friends recommended, but when I moved the old Netflix app into my iTunes Library, it kept asking me for the password of the original iTunes account that downloaded the app in order to access it and sync it to my iPhone 5. And I haven't been lucky, no one has been using their username or "password" as the password. I have yet to find a download link offer the username/password combo in the details for new downloaders, so if any of you have an old version of the Netflix app that's compatible with iOS 6.1.4 and want to share your username/password combo with me (after which you should change your password for safety, obviously), I couldn't possibly be more grateful.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 12:23 AM

2 replies

Nov 22, 2014 1:28 AM in response to molliekatie

Have you rendered both iOS 7 and iOS 8 (both of which will work on your iPhone 5) out of the question entirely without trying every possible configuration? The animations can be disabled entirely, if that's the problem. And if the whiter-brighter user interface is the problem, there's reverse-contrast modes that darken everything. You can expose accessibility controls to gain immediate access to these functions to toggle them on and off. I guess my point is you may have decided against upgrading the OS based on an early experience with iOS 7 when Apple has since made changes in later revisions to address some of the usability complaints.

Now, Apple's instructions for downloading older versions of apps is to do so from the Purchased list, not from the app's product page.

See here:

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

Let us know how that works for you.

Nov 22, 2014 2:55 AM in response to NotSoTechnical

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that, but I was using the "Purchased" page, but it didn't give me the option to download an older version of the Netflix app; It simply repeated that I needed to upgrade to iOS 7.0 or higher in order to download the app.

I tried out two later versions of iOS 7 -- I can't recall which ones offhand -- but I did use the settings you suggested, including with the animations completely disabled, and ultimately I still had the same bad reactions. The reverse-contrast option hurt my eyes less than the brighter original, but I still wound up with a migraine after using it on those settings for only a few minutes. I haven't yet been into the Apple Store since iOS 8.0 came out though.

Do you have any other ideas? I do very much appreciate the help.

How do I find, download, and install an older version of the Netflix app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.