Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop

OK Guys....Forgive me if I sound a dork but I am now confused to ****!. I have an IMac late 2009 now running Yosemite, I have an IPhone 5s running IOS 8.1.1 and a new Mac Book Pro (mid 2014) running OS X 10.10 plus various iPads and Iphone 4's scattered about the office/house of various generations, so basically Apple throughout.

Trouble is that as a photographer I sometimes need to Airdrop between iPhone 5s and the Macbook Pro which I seem unable to do. I get various messages saying that yes you can and other messages that say that OS X and IOS are incompatible. I can Airdrop between the Macs with no problem and between the IOS devices with no problem.

Am I doing something stupid or have Apple scored another own goal and limited the operational flexibility between its platforms?

Help please!

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 2:17 AM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2014 12:18 PM in response to JimboDUK

Hi there,

You may find the troubleshooting steps AirDrop in the article below helpful.

Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices

Tips for sending files

• Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled on your Mac and your iOS device. Although you don't have to connect to a specific network, Wi-Fi needs to be on to send and receive files using AirDrop.
  • Move your devices closer together. AirDrop is designed to work within a range of approximately 30 feet (9 meters). If you need to send a file to someone farther away, consider using File Sharing, iCloud, or email instead.
  • If you're using a firewall on your Mac, you won't be able to receive AirDrop files if you have enabled "Block all incoming connections" in the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences.
  • Make sure your devices meet system requirements for AirDrop.

-Griff W.

Airdrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.