Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.1.1

I am absolutely fuming. I updated my iphone to ios 8.1.1 last night. Today I am unable to use the home button on my iphone, have to switch the phone on and off to change from one function to another which is time consuming and losing work going from calls to emails etc.

As a result of this update the HOME BUTTON has been knocked off and does not work!!! Somebody help please as I am tearing my hair out right now with Apple again.

Surely these updates need to be tested better........its embarrassing Apple!!!

Please can someone help me soon

iPhone 5

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 5:42 AM

2 replies

Nov 24, 2014 1:14 PM in response to zxjamie25

Hi zxjamie25,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, after an update the Home button is not working. So only after a restart does it work. I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Get help with buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the Home button doesn't work

The Home button is on the front of your iOS device, at the bottom:

User uploaded file

If the Home button doesn't work, follow these steps:

1. Press the Sleep/Wake button to lock the device.
  2. Wait a couple of seconds.
  3. Press the Home button. Your device should wake up.
  4. If device doesn't wake up, follow these steps. Test the Home button after each step.
  • Restart your device.
  • Check for debris or dirt around the Home button and clean it with a soft cloth.
  • Remove any protective film or case if it covers the Home button.

If the Home button still isn't waking the device, or if it's damaged, contact Apple Support to set up service.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day,

Mario

Nov 24, 2014 1:18 PM in response to zxjamie25

zxjamie25 wrote:

Surely these updates need to be tested better........its embarrassing Apple!!!

Surely you need to troubleshoot the issue and stop assuming it was the iOS update. All of my iOS 8.1.1 devices do not have this issue.

Restore your iPhone as new. Make a backup first. Then test the issue. If issue remains, it's hardware, not software.

ios 8.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.