Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I turned on file vault and now my apple wireless keyboard won't work

I am using an iMac desktop with OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. I turned on file vault and now my apple wireless keyboard won't work so I can't put in a password or the key that was generated when I turn it on. What can I do to sign in and close the file vault?

<Subject Edited by Host>

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 8:09 AM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 2:59 PM in response to mrb2.1

I had the same exact issue. I am using El Capitan 10.11.1 with my late 2015 27 inch iMac. I didn't like the lightning port rechargable magic keyboard that arrived with it... so I paired my old wireless mac keyboard (the one that uses two AA batteries). I enabled FileVault, and several days later I restarted my iMac, only to find that I could not enter my password. The recovery process was of no assistance either, due to the fact that the computer would not connect to my original Apple wireless keyboard. I found a wired keyboard in my closet that belonged to the last iMac I owned, which was the old school lime green iMac from 1998 (which still works - amazing!), and plugged it in. I was able to restart the computer using the menu prompts on the upper left of the screen menu. Upon restart, I was able to enter my password and get back into my iMac.

Hopefully this helps. Im hoping I can find a fix for this so I don't have to disable my FileVault.

Dec 30, 2015 1:29 PM in response to mrb2.1

I changed batteries and then apple wireless keyboard became useless. Tech support told me that after consultation with engineer that this was a known bug with file vault. Had to go to Wally World and buy a 10 buck wired keyboard to get back into computer and turned off FV and waited 12 hrs to decrypt before I was back up. I think that this borders beyond the ridiculous. Ten buck keyboard plus gas rescues 2500 dollar iMac --priceless.

I turned on file vault and now my apple wireless keyboard won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.