Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: 6 + Grey Bar at top of screen, screen un-responsive

Two weeks ago I noticed that a small grey flickering bar would appear at the top of my screen when unlocking my phone. Sometimes it would just go away and other times it would linger and my screen either: would not accept any touches, or the touches would register incorrectly and open un-wanted apps or type wrong things.

Took it to the Apple store last Saturday, Genius's looked at it and saw the issue, did a screen replacement. It is now one week later and the issue just re-surfaced. I am about to do a full restore on the phone to see if that helps.

Anyone else with this issue???? I will post an update after the restore. None of the people at my store had seen this issue before.

Thanks

-Tom

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Feb 16, 2016 2:47 PM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

Yes, this is a well known defect affecting many 6/6+. It is a defect of the one of the two touch ic chips on the logicboard. It can be solved by replacing the touch ic on the board as a board-level repair. Finding someone local to do micro-bga chip replacement on the board can be a challenge, but there are a handful of great independent repair shops that do this repair across the US every day. ******** Make sure to ask if the shop will replace the touch ic, versus those that will "reflow" the chip. Phones that get replacement chips do not have this issue come back, "reflow" is an inferior repair for this issue.

Before taking your phone to any independent repair company, do some research. There are many that are simply not qualified to do board level repair, or even general repair. Know that your out of warranty option for replacement of the device at Apple (trade in your phone, pay $349 for 6+) may be voided by seeking independent repair, however in my experience I have never seen this happen.

If your phone is still within the 1 year limited warranty, then Apple will certainly swap your device for free. If you are only a few months out from the end of your warranty you may want to give it a shot. Apple stores are well aware of this common defect and most realize that this is a failure of the touch ic.

Also--because this is a known board level defect, software solutions can not solve a hardware problem. No amount of restoring software will solve this problem.

<Edited by Host>

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 26, 2016 5:22 AM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

This is definitely the touch ic chip on the board. There are two, the smaller one is usually affected when the phone presents with visual artifacts like flashing gray bar. It is repairable by independent repair shops that specialize in microsoldering, and is quite an epidemic right now in iPhone 6/6+

The underlying problem is a cold joint that adheres the touch ic to the board. Sometimes you can get relief by simply pressing on the touch ic to get it to make better contact---but this is a temporary solution. Reflow of the touch ic is also a temporary solution, since the pad on the chip not making contact is oxidized and not able to make a quality joint. Replacement of the touch ic is the permanent, robust solution. Many shops can do this work, find one with a good reputation and one that is already aware of this super common problem the second you say "grey flashing bar"

Disclaimer--opening your iphone may void your warranty service options with Apple

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 17, 2015 11:42 AM in response to ArisaemaDracontium In response to ArisaemaDracontium

If doing the full reset/restore does not work for you - then it is definitely hardware related and you will need to take it into the Nerd Patrol or whatever it is called at Apple. I pretty much got the guy to admit that the iphone6's are not as durable as the older iphones. This fact is quite obvious. I dropped my iPhone4 MANY times, the screen was pretty much shattered at the end but the phone still worked. I dropped my 6 Plus like twice - it did put the smallest crack in the screen, but renders the phone useless, that is no good... Luckily he didnt notice the crack and first and I got a full replacement for free (since installing a new screen did NOT fix the issue either). so if you dont have any cracks, just go get a new one under warranty - but they will try screen replacement first. Then get a heavy duty case like i did haha.

Mar 17, 2015 11:42 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 17, 2015 12:06 PM in response to jmfronsee In response to jmfronsee

Yeah, I noticed my problem got worse when I took my case on it, the force on the frame caused the flickering bar. Looking more closely at my phone, look like its bent, right between the volume buttons. #BendGate

Mar 17, 2015 12:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Aug 13, 2015 1:41 AM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

Re "Tom"

Two weeks ago I noticed that a small grey flickering bar would appear at the top of my screen when unlocking my phone. Sometimes it would just go away and other times it would linger and my screen either: would not accept any touches, or the touches would register incorrectly and open un-wanted apps or type wrong things.

Took it to the Apple store last Saturday, Genius's looked at it and saw the issue, did a screen replacement. It is now one week later and the issue just re-surfaced. I am about to do a full restore on the phone to see if that helps.

Anyone else with this issue???? I will post an update after the restore. None of the people at my store had seen this issue before.

Thanks

-Tom

I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM. STARTED ON IOS 8.3. I HAVE ERASED IPHONE AND RESTORED IT WITH IOS 8.4.

THE PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS.

PLEASE HELP / ADVISE!

-Peter

Aug 13, 2015 1:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Aug 13, 2015 1:51 PM in response to gentlepete In response to gentlepete

I've been having the same problem for a couple months. I went to the genius bar and they gave me a new phone..... and a couple of days later it started back up again!!!!!! I've tried restoring, deleting apps, erasing the phone completely, and nothing has stopped this evil grey bar from popping up!!! HELP!!!!!

Aug 13, 2015 1:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2015 12:47 PM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

This happened to me today. Gray Flickering bar at the top of my screen, misread touches, unresponsive touch screen, the whole nine yards. I thought it may be an app i downloaded but once reading this forum I'm almost certain it was not. If anyone has found a definitive answer to this problem short of completely overhauling the phone please share.....

Oct 9, 2015 12:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 10, 2015 3:54 PM in response to mweisman13 In response to mweisman13

Same thing just happened to me. I went into the store and they told me that the 6 plus has a screen issue and the phone must be replaced. This is the only fix. Hopefully you are still under warranty, otherwise you will have to pay for a new phone... hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2015 3:54 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 10, 2015 3:56 PM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

Same thing just happened to me. I went into the store and they told me that the 6 plus has a screen issue and the phone must be replaced. This is the only fix. Hopefully you are still under warranty, otherwise you will have to pay for a new phone... hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2015 3:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 10, 2015 5:15 PM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

Been having the exact same issue for about 2 weeks now. Made an appointment with the geniuses and of course the phone worked perfectly the entire day. Started back with the "glitch" the next day and still making me crazy. Read a support string that suggested dropping the phone from about 2" onto a flat surface and that works sometimes (ok maybe after several drops) to make the screen responsive. Otherwise it is useless. Have another appointment this week to get it exchanged for new while still under warranty. Wish me luck.

Oct 10, 2015 5:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 9, 2015 9:04 AM in response to tommytomx In response to tommytomx

Same here with this issue. Have never had a problem before and this problem is major. I've tried reseting and have not done a restore because everything I'm seeing shows people still having the issue. Guess I'll spend my day off at the genius bar as well. Just wish someone from Apple would reply to this so we can all just stop guessing. Tell us that the only thing to do is get it replaced or something!! PLEASE

Nov 9, 2015 9:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 9, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Jay Squared In response to Jay Squared

Jay Squared wrote:

Just wish someone from Apple would reply to this so we can all just stop guessing. Tell us that the only thing to do is get it replaced or something!! PLEASE

Don't hold your breath. Had you bothered to read the Terms of Use of this forum that YOU agreed to by signing up to post, you would have known that while Apple hosts this forum on their servers, Apple is NOT here. This forum is populated by users just like you.

Nov 9, 2015 9:17 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tommytomx

Question: 6 + Grey Bar at top of screen, screen un-responsive