Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto imports 2 of every photo - iPhone 6

Hello all,

I just got my iPhone 6 and I love it. But iPhoto imports two copies of EVERY photo and video on sync.

Specs:

iMac (mid 2011)

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1333 DDR3

OS 10.10 (Yosemite)

iPhoto 9.5.1

iPhone OS 8.1.1

My photos have not been edited in any way before import. And yet iPhoto brings them in twice. They end up right next to each other in iPhoto.

The names are like this: IMG_6645, and the copy is named IMG_6645_2. Otherwise ALL info is identical.

Can anyone explain? Or help me to stop this?

Please see a screenshot below (photos are all in there twice):

User uploaded file

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 11:15 PM

40 replies

Nov 23, 2014 12:32 AM in response to streptile

OS 10.10 (Yosemite)

iPhoto 9.5.1

With Yosemite, consider to update to iPhoto 9.6. Only that version is fully compatible with Yosemite.

The names are like this: IMG_6645, and the copy is named IMG_6645_2. Otherwise ALL info is identical.

This problem has been reported by others as well. See for example: iphoto import creating and importing duplicates/ios8

If your duplicates are exactly identical and you have not been shooting in HDR mode (keeping JPEG version and HDR version), this is probably due to a bug, Send a bug report to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html

That will increase the likelihood for the bug being fixed. In fact, others reported, that the problem was gone after the recent iOS 8.1.1 update, for others it appeared only with this update.

Nov 24, 2014 8:24 PM in response to léonie

Well, Here's what I've tried so far:

• Updated iPhoto to v. 9.6
  • Rebuild iPhoto database
  • Hard re-started iPhone
  • Checked HDR (has always been off)

Nothing has solved this problem so far. I get two of every photo AND VIDEO imported into iPhoto from my iPhone.

Any more suggestions?

I've reported the bug to Apple.

Many thanks in advance.

Dec 5, 2014 10:39 PM in response to Outdoorman46

I experienced the same problem with my new iPhone 6 and resolved it by switching off the "Keep Normal Photo" function in the Photos & Camera settings menu. Appears to be a bug? Give it a try.

If you import two versions of your photo because of the "Keep Normal Photo" option, you are not importing duplicates but different versions of the same photo. I would not disable this option but manually select which version to keep. The HDR version of a photo may be horribly blurred and you may not notice it on an iPhone, because on the small iPhone display all photos will look good. Blurred HDR versions may be caused by motion blur, if the subject is moving too quickly, or the camera was not held steady, or the lighting was poor. In these cases the normal photo will usually be the better of the two.

Dec 27, 2014 4:17 PM in response to léonie

How can I tell if these photos are exact duplicates or if one is HDR? This would help a lot in diagnosis of these duplicates.

When imported to iphoto the information about the photos (size, etc) is exactly the same except for the _2 in the name of the second one. Does this mean neither is HDR? Does the current iphoto convert HDR to non-HDR at upload?

Is there anyway to see the photo size and related data or metadata such as HDRness for photos in the iphone camera roll pre-upload to iphoto?

(I seem to sometimes have duplicates on my iphone 6 before upload, and sometimes get duplicates when uploaded to iphoto, and rarely not get a duplicates)

iPhoto imports 2 of every photo - iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.