Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardwired LAN slow on 10.10.1 - not usable

Immediately upon upgrading to 10.10.1 I noticed my Hardwired LAN (cat5e) performance took a huge performance hit, so much it's not usable.

I've not seen reports of this, and under 10.10 base I had no problems with LAN speed.

I have multiple Aperture Libraries, these are "big" in size 30GB to close to 300GB.

I have a 6TB NAS (WD MyCloud EX2) and a 2TB via USB on the Airport Extreme. Both used to work no problem but now so slow

What took 3-4 hours to copy a 250GB file is now days....not acceptable, I even started the copy overnight and next morning still chugging away, pictures show what I mean

User uploaded file

When I take that exact same 2TB drive, un-plug it from the Airport Extreme and directly plug it to the iMac it transfers files as expected, 3-4 hours for 250GB file.

snapshots shows the transfer speed progression from initial start to a few minute after

User uploaded file

Help me ..

I can't use my NAS like this, and it worked perfect on 10.9.x

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mac user since 1984 (college...)

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 4:37 AM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2014 2:19 PM in response to mtbdudex

Hi;

I was on the phone with WD customer support just now for about 25 mintues.

We did the following:

a) confirmed I am on the latest firmware - 1.05.21

b) did a reset in the back with a paper clip; tried copying files took as long

c) did a System restore under settings>utilities>system restore; tried copying files took as long

We then tried a few things:

a) 50MB single file , almost immediately copy

b) a iDVD file 5GB in size, this took approx 2 minutes

c) a Aperture file 5GB in size, this has 789 photos and video clips inside it.....the copy process started then got "stuck" around 24.7MB, the time went to 2 hours to copy, then 3 hours to copy, while not going past 24.7MB, then 4 hours to copy...we stopped it after it went to 6 hours to copy at 25 MB of 5.19 GB

d) tried my iTunes library, which is 72.51GB with 10,584 items (in iTunes it shows 5, 318 songs 30.25GB + a few podcasts and 5 home made DVD's done in iDVD, 99.5% is songs + artwork of course). It started the copy process almost immediately at 8 hours 70MB of 72.5GB for 10, 233 items, I could see the items count going down at the copy progressed. It then settled on about 9 hours when I stopped it at copying 9, 510 items (351 MB of 72.5GB)

So, it's not strictly the file size but seems the accounting of so many individual files during the copy/move process....at least that's my guess.

He was going to Level 2 support and get back with me later.

I'll keep updating here for fact based data.

Nov 25, 2014 8:33 AM in response to mtbdudex

As more data points I took a single 2.1GB file (a iDVD file) and both uploaded it to the EX2 NAS and downloaded it from the EX2 NAS

Some image to share:

Upload from iMac to EX2 NAS
User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Download from EX2 NAS to iMac is quite fast

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Device activity screen for that single 2.1GB upload/download file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Later I will duplicate the 5GB Aperture file to see the network performance graph for that, though I will probably have to cancel it because once it goes to hours gfor a 5GB file that kills using the iMac for other purposes

Hardwired LAN slow on 10.10.1 - not usable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.