Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help syncing movies from my laptop to my iPad

I have done this before but am having trouble..... I recently added some movies to my laptop library and want to sync them to my ipad. They are in the correct ipad format, but they don't sync and i can't find the spot where i can choose specific movies to sync.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 6:33 AM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2014 11:07 AM in response to Emily90

Hi Emily90,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Are the movies purchased or rented from the iTunes Store? Or, are they personal videos? The article below should answer your questions about how to work with video files in iTunes and on your iPad.

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2729

For an overview of where your purchases can be synced, see iTunes Store: Where can I download and sync my purchases?

What video content works with iTunes and mobile devices?

iTunes:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
  • Video podcasts.
  • iTunes Digital Copies.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Mobile Devices:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • Videos that have been shared to iTunes using QuickTime Player (Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard).
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with QuickTime 7 Pro.
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and others. Refer to Exporting a movie from iMovie HD to iPod for an iMovie HD tutorial.
  • Video Podcasts that have been created for mobile devices.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone version option.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPad or AppleTV versionoption (iPad and AppleTV only).
  • See below for detailed movie specifications.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Can I sync my own video through iTunes?

Yes, as long as the video file is in a format that iTunes can re-encode. Add the file to your iTunes library and then create versions optimized for your device using the File > Create New Version menu.

Manage content manually on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

Manually add items to your device

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  3. Choose the content that you want to add to your device from your iTunes library.
    User uploaded file
  4. Drag the content to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. A panel should appear. Locate your device.
    User uploaded file

What if I can't manually add content to or remove content from my device?

To manually manage your content, check to make sure that the "Manually manage music and videos" option is turned on. Then:

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  3. Locate and click on your device.
    User uploaded file
  4. Click the Summary tab.
  5. Click the box next to "Manually manage music and videos."
    User uploaded file
  6. Click Apply. If you see a message that your device is synced with another library:
  • iPhone can only add music or video from a single iTunes Library.
  • iPad and iPod can add music from multiple iTunes Libraries, but video from only one iTunes Library.
  • If you choose to manually manage your movies and music with the new iTunes Library, the iTunes content currently on your device will be erased and replaced.

Cheers,

- Judy

I need help syncing movies from my laptop to my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.