Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airdrop dosen't work?

I'm currently having a Macbook air 2013 with mac os 10.10.1, iPhone5s with IOS 8.1.1.

I have allowed the airdrop discovered by everyone, turned bluetooth and wifi on in both devices. Macbook Air is connecting to the wifi hotspot from iPhone5s.

Handoff is working well, I can see the icon popups out in the dock.

But I can't use airdrop, I can't see any devices in airdrop list from both devices, they can't detect each other. Am I doing anything wrong?

All I want is passing one picture from Mac to iPhone. If I'm using android I should have done that like 100 times by now via bluetooth. I just don't understand why Apple makes it so complicated.

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 9:25 AM

2 replies

Nov 25, 2014 12:11 PM in response to steven89757

Hi there steven89757,

I would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps for AirDrop found in the article below.

Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices

Tips for sending files

• Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled on your Mac and your iOS device. Although you don't have to connect to a specific network, Wi-Fi needs to be on to send and receive files using AirDrop.
  • Move your devices closer together. AirDrop is designed to work within a range of approximately 30 feet (9 meters). If you need to send a file to someone farther away, consider using File Sharing, iCloud, or email instead.
  • If you're using a firewall on your Mac, you won't be able to receive AirDrop files if you have enabled "Block all incoming connections" in the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences.
  • Make sure your devices meet system requirements for AirDrop.

-Griff W.

airdrop dosen't work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.