Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosemite - spotlight - see progress of reindex?

Hello:

I ugpraded to yosemite yesterday. I had spotlight completely turned off in mavericks osx as it made the macbookpro(4gb ram) go so so slow. unworkable.

So yesterday, after upgrade, I wanted to see if I could get Spotlight back working and have a fast system style.

So

- I dragged the "macintosh" OUT of hte Spotlight privacy window (preferences/spotlight/privancy tab)

- then back in

- and back out (so Spotlight set then to reindex entire mac hardrive)

(I was told that series of steps would force spotlight to reindex.

but then like mavericksosx, the macbook pro ground to slow slow speed.

How do I see where spotlight reindex progress is up to?

-----

I stopped it at 3hrs as it was too unbearable. I have now put the "macintosh" back into the Spotlight privacy window (so Spotlight is effectively turned OFF) and the macboook pro speed is good again.

thankyou

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 2:53 PM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 8:47 PM in response to ApMaX

I did the things proscribed for Spotlight index update...Privacy...drag in...drag out...blah blah.

Then total panic set in as I saw much of my email disappeared!!! Smart Mailboxes empty!!! YIKES!!!

Then I saw they were re-filling slowly...eventually all came back after maybe 30 minutes...apparently was part of the re-indexing process...takes time...don't panic...I almost gave up and reinstalled previous TimeMachine backup until I saw all was coming back and well...whew!!!

Any thoughts???

Bill

yosemite - spotlight - see progress of reindex?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.