Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

losing my mind? run snow leopard in mavericks w/ vmware fusion 6

Back in April I researched it and even talked to vmware about Fusion 6 and was told I could connect my late 2009 macbook pro running snow leopard to a brand new macbook pro running mavericks with an ethernet cable and virtualize my 2009 snow leopard machine, with all its files and programs, onto a brand new mavericks macbook pro. I'm ready to buy a new macbook pro. I still have the vmware fusion 6 bookmark that showed a diagram connecting two computers with an ethernet cable and it saying this would now work with Snow Leopard to Mavericks! But now the link takes me to fusion 7 with no such diagram or info.

Am I losing my mind? Thank you.

Stu

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2009

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 6:48 PM

If I am losing my mind and misinterpreted this so completely, is it possible for me to do what I am seeking if I install Snow Leopard "Server" on the old machine before doing the virtualization with the ethernet connection of the old and new laptops I describe above?

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2014 6:48 PM in response to stu m

If I am losing my mind and misinterpreted this so completely, is it possible for me to do what I am seeking if I install Snow Leopard "Server" on the old machine before doing the virtualization with the ethernet connection of the old and new laptops I describe above?

Oct 5, 2015 1:50 PM in response to stu m

Thank you for the reply. Somehow while looking at this I refreshed my last post a year ago to today! Then I accidentally clicked my own post as "solved"! Trying to contact an administrator to correct it. Yes, the "solution" must indeed be that I am losing my mind. Anyway, I haven't tried the virtualization yet, but I loooked into it and it seems there's no step by step reliable way to do it, and a lot of patience required.

How to contact an admin?

Nov 12, 2015 9:11 AM in response to stu m

stu m wrote:

Anyway, I haven't tried the virtualization yet, but I loooked into it and it seems there's no step by step reliable way to do it, and a lot of patience required.

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels for DUMMIES:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/installing-snow-leopard-and-rosetta-into-par allels-7-in-lion.1365439/page-23#post-17285039

Nov 12, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

The client version of Snow Leopard cannot be installed in any VM. Call Apple to purchase a copy of Snow Leopard Server.

The client version of Snow Leopard cannot be easily installed in Parallels, but it can be installed into Parallels (and some say VM as well).

But with Snow Leopard Server now the same price as Snow Leopard, the discussion is largely moot!

Nov 12, 2015 10:56 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Against the license of the virtualization software, perhaps since I have not read them, but I doubt it.

That's what has never made sense to me. If you look through the web sites of the makers of Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox, they all state that it's against the Snow Leopard (non Server) license to install it in a VM.

However, if you read the SL client license of allowable installation options (which we both have), absolutely nowhere does it say it cannot be virtualized. Even so, if you try to use an SL client disk with any of these VM titles, they will all tell you it cannot be used because of license restrictions.

No one. Not Apple, or any of the VM makers have explained why you can't install the SL client version in a VM when there is no such restriction in the license.

Nov 12, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Check again: with the exception of one 2011 Parallels support document, which actually helped start this common Urban Myth, future statements claimed it was against their license with Apple.

And yes, that is the problem for these products. They may have license agreements with Apple that prohibit their product from allowing the virtualization of Snow Leopard client, but such agreements, if they exist, are not binding on third parties, such as you and me!

We are only bound by the Snow Leopard EULA.

Nov 12, 2015 11:19 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Check again:

I have. Parallels own site states Leopard and Snow Leopard client cannot be installed because it's against the EULA of the OS.

Neither Leopard nor Snow Leopard are supported to be run on Parallels Desktop virtual machines. That is due to the fact that it is prohibited by Apple's EULA.

VMware excludes these two versions of OS X for the same reason.

According to Apple's licensing policies, VMware only supports the virtualization of Apple Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) client or server, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) client or server, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) client or server, 10.6 (Snow Leopard) server and 10.5 (Leopard) server.

Why? Got me.

Nov 12, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

Check again:

I have. Parallels own site states Leopard and Snow Leopard client cannot be installed because it's against the EULA of the OS.

Neither Leopard nor Snow Leopard are supported to be run on Parallels Desktop virtual machines. That is due to the fact that it is prohibited by Apple's EULA.

VMware excludes these two versions of OS X for the same reason.

According to Apple's licensing policies, VMware only supports the virtualization of Apple Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) client or server, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) client or server, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) client or server, 10.6 (Snow Leopard) server and 10.5 (Leopard) server.

Why? Got me.

This is the 2011 Support Document from Parallels that I referred to in my last post that helped create this myth. They just continue to update this document after they created it on September 19, 2011, as noted, without correction.

The VMWare document states: "According to Apple's licensing policies..." which, as I noted, is referring to their license with Apple, and not the Snow Leopoard EULA; and presumably is referring to all of Apple's licenses with all of the virtualization companies.

losing my mind? run snow leopard in mavericks w/ vmware fusion 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.