Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can not free up storage space after deleting all photo

I have a iPhone5 with ios8.1. I deleted all photo and videos in my photo library to free up space. however, in usage it still shows the photo library used more than 6gb space. in "about" page of setting, it shows 800 photos and 70 videos in my iPhone. but I cannot find any photo in photo library, and not from iTunes or iPhoto by connecting to MAC. it bother me for a few weeks. does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Ann

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 26, 2015 6:57 PM in response to Everest2 In response to Everest2

OK, so maybe you don't know how to click a link. Here are the instructions that are in that link:

First, check the Recently Deleted album in Photos, which is a new feature after iOS 8.1. If it's empty you may have run into a strange bug, where deleted photos don't actually get removed. To check for this follow these rather strange instructions:

• Go to Settings/General/Date & Time
  • Disable Set Automatically
  • Tap on the current date/time and roll it back about 2 years
  • Tap <General in the upper left
  • Launch the Photos app and go to the Recently Deleted album (even if it says there are 0 photos)
  • Is it full of photos? If so, delete them
  • Go back to Settings/General/Date & Time and turn Set Automatically back on

Thanks to @txforever for this solution

Nov 26, 2014 10:25 AM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I think you need to go to Albums and then Recently Deleted. There you will find all the local photos that have been deleted in the last 30 days but are still recoverable. Select All and deletes these, assuming you no longer want the option to recover them. This will free up local storage.

Dec 24, 2014 11:25 PM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I have the exact same problem. I have deleted all photos from the phone, everything from the recently deleted, every single photo. In usage it still shows Photos and Camera is using 4.4GB. When I connect to iPhoto it doesn't show any photo in the phone either so there's definitely no photo in there. Don't know why the phone thinks there is 4.4GB of photos in the usage part. I have restarted the phone as well. Nothing.

If anybody found a solution for this, can you please update. I'm using iPhone 5 with 8.1.2 software.

Mar 11, 2015 11:47 AM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

Exactly same problem here. Didn't have iCloud backup enabled for my phone photos either. Has been ongoing for a while but it is beyond a joke now because i've got over a third of my iphone taken up and have just deleted every single image and video on the phone to no avail.

Just glad that i'm not the only one. Though it seems like a fairly huge bug for Apple not to have fixed since what appears to be december!

Ridiculous.

Anybody managed to get into a store at all or spoken to Apple about this?

I've not been on here before but i'm guessing they've got bigger fish to fry than have moderators tend to our whines on the forum?

Will pop in when next passing a store and update this if they manage to offer anything other than "reset your phone"

Mar 2, 2015 3:28 PM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I think if you have the iCloud backup turned on, it'll back up all of your photos and videos to your phone regardless of whether you delete it or not. Your photos and videos will stay in the cloud as well as be stored on your iPhone's internal storage. You can check to see whether all of the photos and videos are still stored with iCloud in your iPhone or not and if they are, you can decide what you want to do with them. I may be wrong, but I hope this works for you. 🙂

Mar 26, 2015 6:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch In response to Lawrence Finch

Its the same problem in this thread that everyone else is having. I don't have any photos in my photo library yet Photos & Camera showing 4.2GB being used. I have used itunes to delete these and they don't show up there either. Again same problem that everyone else is seeing. I also don't see where this problem has been solved. Many on this thread were in 2015

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 26, 2014 10:25 AM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I think you need to go to Albums and then Recently Deleted. There you will find all the local photos that have been deleted in the last 30 days but are still recoverable. Select All and deletes these, assuming you no longer want the option to recover them. This will free up local storage.

Nov 26, 2014 10:25 AM

Reply Helpful (33)

Dec 24, 2014 11:25 PM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I have the exact same problem. I have deleted all photos from the phone, everything from the recently deleted, every single photo. In usage it still shows Photos and Camera is using 4.4GB. When I connect to iPhoto it doesn't show any photo in the phone either so there's definitely no photo in there. Don't know why the phone thinks there is 4.4GB of photos in the usage part. I have restarted the phone as well. Nothing.

If anybody found a solution for this, can you please update. I'm using iPhone 5 with 8.1.2 software.

Dec 24, 2014 11:25 PM

Reply Helpful (21)

Feb 25, 2015 2:06 PM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

Same problem with an iPhone 5S. We deleted all albums, all photos, deleted Instagram (just in case), turned off all iCloud options for Photos. Image Capture shows no photos. iPhone shows no photos, no albums, no shared. After deleting Instagram, there is no other app on the phone that uses photos.

Yet the Manage Storage on iPhone says Photos are using 8GB.

We Reset the phone, using "Erase All Content and Settings", and then used Restore iPhone from iTunes.

We've tried everything we could find in lots of forums. And still 8GB is used for Photos that apparently don't exist.

Feb 25, 2015 2:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 27, 2015 9:27 PM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I tried buying an extra 20 GB on iCloud. In a other forum they said this would free up the space. This did not happen immediately. But then I went back and did another sync in iTunes. This time i checked sync over wifi. This time the memory did free up completely. What a strange scenario.

Feb 27, 2015 9:27 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 2, 2015 3:28 PM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

I think if you have the iCloud backup turned on, it'll back up all of your photos and videos to your phone regardless of whether you delete it or not. Your photos and videos will stay in the cloud as well as be stored on your iPhone's internal storage. You can check to see whether all of the photos and videos are still stored with iCloud in your iPhone or not and if they are, you can decide what you want to do with them. I may be wrong, but I hope this works for you. 🙂

Mar 2, 2015 3:28 PM

Reply Helpful (9)

Mar 2, 2015 4:35 PM in response to jagsaluja In response to jagsaluja

In my case I turned iCloud backup off. Logged into iCloud, there are no photos. There is no backup. I Reset the iPhone and erased all contents, and Restored from the Mac. It still showed over 1500 photos. Which don't seem to be visibly anywhere.

Mar 2, 2015 4:35 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2015 6:44 AM in response to rboko In response to rboko

Exact same thing for me. The photos sat in the Recently Deleted Album for 30 days and counted down each of the those days.

It's now been 30 days. The photos are gone from that Album. But no space has been recovered.

This is so fundamental.

Mar 11, 2015 6:44 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2015 11:47 AM in response to WePhoneMA In response to WePhoneMA

Exactly same problem here. Didn't have iCloud backup enabled for my phone photos either. Has been ongoing for a while but it is beyond a joke now because i've got over a third of my iphone taken up and have just deleted every single image and video on the phone to no avail.

Just glad that i'm not the only one. Though it seems like a fairly huge bug for Apple not to have fixed since what appears to be december!

Ridiculous.

Anybody managed to get into a store at all or spoken to Apple about this?

I've not been on here before but i'm guessing they've got bigger fish to fry than have moderators tend to our whines on the forum?

Will pop in when next passing a store and update this if they manage to offer anything other than "reset your phone"

Mar 11, 2015 11:47 AM

Reply Helpful (10)
User profile for user: WePhoneMA

Question: Can not free up storage space after deleting all photo