Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP error: can't play iTunes movies or netflix with yosemite

I get this error message: This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

The movies won't play through Quicktime either.

I get a similar error from Netflix and I've tried switching to Silverlight which work for a couple weeks but now it won't work again.

I do not have my computer connected to any other device or second screen.

This is a brand new retina Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 16GB, 1TB Solid-state, Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

Everything is up-to-date.

I have called Apple twice and they could not find a solution. I hoped it would be resolved when the first update (10.10.1) came out...but nothing has changed.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 10:42 PM

9 replies

Feb 20, 2015 4:51 PM in response to JBFF

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Feb 24, 2015 4:54 PM in response to JBFF

Finally!:) I called Apple a third time and was finally directed to someone who knew what to do. First, we went through the basic safemode startup and various other simple solutions that did not fix the issue, so they had me do a Data Capture so that they could send it to an engineering department to look for third party files that are causing the error. The report was sent to them and I waited a day for them to get back to me about it. Once they got the report back they took me through the process of deleting files that could cause the issue. This solved the problem! We are't for sure which file is was, but it was most defiantly a third party file I had from years ago that I never use. The process took a couple hours to get through, but it was great to have iTunes and Netflix working again!

Thanks Kandace and the Apple support team!

Mar 3, 2015 4:40 PM in response to mrossg

So the folders we looked through were:

Macintosh HD - System - Library - Extensions

Macintosh HD - Library - Extensions

Macintosh HD - Library - LuanchAgents

Macintosh HD - Library - LuanchDaemons

As well as the hidden Library in the Finder menu under Go (While hitting option key) Library - LuanchAgents

Basically, we looked through all the files and figured out which were not necessary and deleted them. The Apple support went through and compared which files were supposed to be on the computer and which were third party files. We did delete all the files in LuanchDaemons and LuanchAgents. The Extensions had a lot of file we did not delete, but we deleted a few.

If you are not sure what to delete then call Apple.

Jul 4, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks! This worked for me also. I used the Chrome agent as the Firefox option wouldn't let me pull up the movie controls after a few minutes of playback. I did previously try using Google Chrome browser but that didn't work so it's odd that the Chrome option in user agent would work for me. I'm just glad it's fixed! Maybe someone should tell Netflix.

HDCP error: can't play iTunes movies or netflix with yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.