Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to stop the *Cellular Data is Turned off for "whatever"* messages from showing up constantly.

I want to stop the *Cellular Data is Turned off for "whatever"* messages from showing up constantly.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 11:04 PM

12 replies

Nov 26, 2014 7:00 AM in response to geoffreyfrom

Hi geoffreyfrom,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If you are receiving alerts that one or many applications are not using cellular data, you may want to consider turning on the cellular data for those applications. Please follow the steps outlined in the attached article to turn on cellular data for the applications you choose.

Learn about cellular data settings and usage on your iPhone and iPad (Cellular Model) - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

Nov 26, 2014 6:53 PM in response to AppleJoe

Joe, thank you for replying, but the point was not to turn on the cellular data but to get the warning from popping up continually after I had intentionally turned it off. Email, maps, and specialty apps like Yelp are ok for cell data, but I have no desire to pay for settings, photos, and other apps that feel the need to use it, even though it doesn't affect it's functionality (ie works fine in airplane more, but then I have to switch that off to use maps and email).

The data these programs send and receive may be minuscule, but that is not the point. The point is that Apple gives you the option to control cellular data usage by programs, but then sends a warning message EVERY TIME I access the program. I'm guessing they are either assuming that people will forget they set this setting and then complain, or maybe they want people to use as much data as possible for the benefit of their phone company partners.

I take a lot of photos during the day, and EVERY TIME I turn on the camera, it warns me the that cellular data is turned off in settings.

Nov 26, 2014 7:41 PM in response to geoffreyfrom

Hi! This issue has been present since iOS 7, trust me, it is really annoying.

Some apps don't need data and with other apps, I don't want to have access to data. Simple right?

The notification is akin something like this:

Me- turns out the light as I leave the room

iPhone- *stops all user operations* uhhh you know you turned out the lights right?

You can turn the lights back on by flipping the switch on the wall.

Me- *Hulk Smash*

Apple.com/feedback is your best bet.

Jan 2, 2015 9:11 AM in response to eksplorer

I think Apple should pay attention to this. Someone commented elsewhere that Apple does this for contractual reasons with cellular providers, but having just driven across the country and encountered this warning several times before giving up and turning cellular data back on, I think there is a potential for litigation, because it is a *built in* demand for attention from a device that may be used while driving that renders the device inoperable (at least for that app and for that setting) until the user responds manually and thus unsafely. Cellular data should always be on for all apps while driving in order to prevent this warning, until Apple provides a solution.

Jan 2, 2015 9:33 AM in response to aphid123

aphid123 wrote:

I think Apple should pay attention to this. Someone commented elsewhere that Apple does this for contractual reasons with cellular providers, but having just driven across the country and encountered this warning several times before giving up and turning cellular data back on, I think there is a potential for litigation, because it is a *built in* demand for attention from a device that may be used while driving that renders the device inoperable (at least for that app and for that setting) until the user responds manually and thus unsafely. Cellular data should always be on for all apps while driving in order to prevent this warning, until Apple provides a solution.

I think that you will find that using any device whilst driving is considered a distraction. Driving whilst distracted is a risk to you & the rest of the planet. If the planet is lucky you will kill only yourself & get a Darwin award in the process.

The pop up is annoying, but no where near as annoying as killing someone or spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair, living with the guilt of squashing a child…

If you don't believe me contact your local police for figures on accidents caused whilst distracted.

Feb 4, 2015 1:31 PM in response to aphid123

any fix for this?

I get it all the time for audible and it is sooo irritating. Personally I keep bugging audible about this. A lot of people say it is an apple problem but only a few apps do this begging. I'd say audible has wanted this in the app. Complain to them.

I've taken to using the iTunes music player app which is not as nice an app but it only asks once in a long while for cellular and not over and over and over.

Feb 6, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Sterling Hill

I did figure out a fix for the audible app problem. It did not do this in past releases. I was able to get an old iPod touch and load the app on it - the flag says something about this being an older iPod so it will have to load an older version, is that OK? Yes indeed. I deleted the audible app from the iPhone AND from the mac app library. Backed up the iPod, which then put the older version onto the computer. Added the old app to the iPhone and Bob's your uncle. It will ask periodically for the cellular but not that constant, overwhelming number of popups.

Awkward but it works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.