Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Windows 10 airplay - not functional!

After checking, double checking, and checking yet again, it would appear that the airplay on Windows 10 with iTunes 12 is broken.

To cut a long story short:

It is not the network or any of the network devices or there configurations (my Mac book Pro, connected to the same physical network port is fully functional and can see all of my airplay devices and unsurprisingly works seamlessly).

It isn't windows firewall (this has been turned off during testing, all rules are in place for itunes and bonjour).

It isn't the old "dissable IPv6" thing (this has made no difference).

iTunes on the PC will not allow "remotes" to connect.

Home sharing is definitely on (and off and on again).

This has been tested on the current Windows 10 9860 build.

Has been tested on a virgin install of 9860 where iTunes is the only application post installation after all updates installed.

This is my first port of call as iTunes version 12 specifically states "Windows 10 support added" in the release notes - similarly this will be relayed to MS too.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Other OS

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 2:51 AM

20 replies

Nov 24, 2014 6:54 AM in response to PsychoV3

Windows 10 is a long way from release (the build you refer is an early Technical Preview). I would not expect such a test/pre-release version to work reliably with anything. Where do you see a reference to Windows 10 in the iTunes release notes? I can't find (and wouldn't expect to find) any such reference - sure you're not confusing it with the reference to support for OS X 10.10?

Nov 24, 2014 7:15 AM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks for your reply. The point of a technical preview or a Beta is to give feedback on things that do and do not work with the system, both to OS and application developers so upon release, these problems do not exist.

Windows 10, is not a significant step forward in terms of base code, I haven't yet found ANYTHING that does not work reliably (with what is basically win8.1), bar air play with iTunes, hence the feedback. It used to work on Windows 10, but that was with the short lived iTunes 11.

The reference was taken from an iTunes history wiki regarding release notes - if it is incorrect, then I apologise. I may well have the build number wrong, though I am further from my lab that I wish to be right now!

If anyone has experienced similar on window 8.1 for example, then this may lead to a fix!

Nov 25, 2014 2:39 PM in response to PsychoV3

I have had exactly the same problems. Itunes worked perfectly with Windows 10 until I installed itunes 12. I have contacted apple, who were more interested in hearing about the new features of Windows 10 than anything else. In the end they said they do not support Windows 10. I have today done the update to Windows 10 which not resolves issues I had in running Vuze, however it did not solve the itunes issue.

Aug 10, 2015 1:55 AM in response to PsychoV3

Did you find a solution for this? I have a similar problem and have tried the same troubleshooting. I installed Windows 10 this weekend and am no longer able to airplay from my computer to the Apple TV. I am able to access my iTunes library from the Apple TV but it cuts out after playing for a while (this is quite intermittent and I'm not sure when it happens or why). Before the Windows upgrade I was running Windows 7 and was able to stream music from my computer using airplay in iTunes from my computer to the Apple TV. I am still able to wirelessly sync my iPhone with my computer. I am also able to airplay from my phone to the Apple TV.

Ideas???

Aug 11, 2015 10:55 PM in response to PL Oz

Today, without me doing anything, I had a temporary window where I could stream from my iTunes on my computer to Apple TV. The first two songs had some buffering issues and then I was able to play 10-15 songs without any issue and then it quit working. Once again I would like to reiterate that I had no issues before installing Windows 10. Does Apple need to update iTunes 12?

Aug 14, 2015 9:13 PM in response to Avi_Elbaz

Unfortunately that's not my problem. First, IPv6 is disabled on both my computer and router. Secondly, my AirPlay icon is available but only works intermittently. When iTunes is trying to connect to Apple TV it takes a long time trying to connect, if it does connect there are typically some issue

playing the first song or two (there are delays and sometimes skips), and then, if I'm lucky, I am able to play maybe 10 more songs before losing the connection. When the connection is lost the AirPlay icon turns orange. Once the AirPlay icon is orange, I can usually switch back to my computer and then switch back to the AirPlay mode but it will no longer connect my Apple TV. It will attempt to connect to the Apple TV but an error message will appear telling me I cannot connect. Therefore I cannot "push" music to my Apple TV.

I'm able to "pull" music from my Apple TV. However, this is also intermittent. The connection eventually drops out. It drops out sometimes while using my computer and sometimes while my computer is not being used. However, I'm not able to "pull" music from my computer if I have already attempted to "push" music for my computer and it has quit working. I am able to resolve this issue by restarting Apple TV and/or my computer. However, this is not very convenient and all of these problems seem to have arisen after my upgrade to Windows 10.

Sep 12, 2015 10:42 PM in response to larryfromla crescenta

As I mentioned previously this is not my issue.The AirPlay icon is there. My problem is with the functionality of AirPlay, it is either intermittent or nonfunctioning. It takes forever for iTunes connect over AirPlay and then I'm lucky if two or three songs play. It tends to work better when I pull songs from iTunes than push songs for iTunes to the Apple TV. However, neither system seems to work very well. I think I need to start evaluating another method for playing my music. ITunes/Apple TV is just not cutting it.

iTunes Windows 10 airplay - not functional!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.