Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is FCE (Final Cut Express) compatible with Yosemite?

I plan to upgrade from Mountain lion to Yosemite, but I want to continue my film editing with FCE

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 6:04 PM

Not sure where the most recent answer to this discussion thread is, but I'm currently running FCX 4.01 on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.5) with no issues. One of the tricks to be successful is that the program and its files have to be pre-loaded in the Mac already when you're updating the OS. I have many projects created with the app and I depend on it to maintain them. I can even run LiveType although the app takes a bit longer to load. I am looking forward to someone reporting in that the app works on Mac OS High Sierra as well.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2017 6:04 PM in response to edgarfromhünibach

Not sure where the most recent answer to this discussion thread is, but I'm currently running FCX 4.01 on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.5) with no issues. One of the tricks to be successful is that the program and its files have to be pre-loaded in the Mac already when you're updating the OS. I have many projects created with the app and I depend on it to maintain them. I can even run LiveType although the app takes a bit longer to load. I am looking forward to someone reporting in that the app works on Mac OS High Sierra as well.

Nov 30, 2014 2:55 AM in response to edgarfromhünibach

People are reporting different amounts of success so nobody will be able to give you a categorical answer.

The easiest and safest way to test Yosemite (or any other OS) is to open Disk Utility and create a small partition (25GB) on your internal hard drive (or a spare one).

You can then download and install Yosemite on that partition to test whether your favourite apps still work OK.

Your Mac will have dual-boot capability and whenever you start up you can select which OS to open.

When you are satisfied that your apps work with Yosemite you can delete the small partition and install Yosemite normally.

WARNING !

Whilst this procedure is normally perfectly safe, it is always prudent to have everything backed up.

Apr 27, 2015 3:18 AM in response to edgarfromhünibach

It may be possible, but imho not advisable. FCE was discontinued in June 2011, even before Lion was released. It has not been supported since then. So, we (you) are on your own if you want to try using it on later versions of OS X. I'd say you are pretty lucky that it works on Mt. Lion for you.

I have not tried to install/run FCE on Yosemite myself, and won't. Much as I like FCE, it is old (obsolete) software compared to the current release of OS X and I wouldn't trust my precious video editing to a combination of an obsolete app + a new operating system. For what it's worth, I locked down my editing systems on FCE 4.0.1 + Snow Leopard 10.6.8 because that's the last supported combination of the two and it works perfectly. Beyond that, the combination of Final Cut Pro X + Yosemite is the currently supported version of each.

Feb 8, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Graham Giles

I'm not sure what you mean?

My suggestion to create 2 partitions will work perfectly and the creation of the extra partition is very easy and takes a minute or so . . . . installing the OS will take the normal time of course, up to an hour. If you decide later you don't need that bootable partition you can easily delete it so that your boot drive reverts to its previous state.

You will need an original copy of FCE 4, as the downloadable 4.0.1 update is precisely that, not a standalone app.

Feb 8, 2015 4:15 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

You say install on internal hard drive or 'a spare one'

I wanted to not interfere with my internal drive but use an external one for this test but cannot find a complete Yosemite that could be used. It seems to be just an upgrade.

Should I install say Mountain Lion (for which I have a disc) and upgrade from there.Then this could be my start-up drive - or not ?

I also have FCE 4 disc too and FCE is working fine on Mavericks !

My profile is updated to reflect my current gear.

Feb 8, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian. My problem is that I have several unfinished edits in FCE on my Mavericks machine. These will be added to in due course so I cannot afford to close

the projects. Optimism says that Yosemite will still be ok but I am loth to take that risk having got away with it once already ! Also I use iDVD for mastering !

How about loading ML from my disc on to a hard drive that is empty. Then can I start up from that and upgrade to Yos. afterwards and add put FCE on to that disc to see if it will still work ?

I understand what you say about FCPX and am prepared to buy it but I am not keen on a new learn and it has such a poor reputation !

Feb 8, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Graham Giles

Yes, that would be ideal with no risk whatsoever. You could have it all done and dusted in around an hour.

Where has FCP X got a bad reputation?

Back in 2011 it was introduced somewhat prematurely and like most new things it contained flaws and omissions, but within a year it had been vastly improved and was probably the best editor around.

Since then, it has been further refined and few, other than the diehards you always get, would say it was anything other than excellent.

Feb 10, 2015 5:52 AM in response to Graham Giles

Using a separate bootable hard drive in the way I described works perfectly.

I have done it numerous times over the past few years to enable me to use apps that would not work with the latest operating systems installed on my computer and I have at least 2 hard drives configured that way at the moment.

It won't have any ill effect on your computer as it is basically just an extra operating system that your computer can use when needed.

Any USB 2.0/3.0 or Firewire hard drive can be used.

Mar 13, 2015 6:45 PM in response to edgarfromhünibach

Apologies in advance: I'm going to be a bit of an antagonist here.

I upgraded to Yosemite from 10.6.8 and enjoyed HOURS of Final Cut Express without issue. I had the same iMac as you. Three weeks after upgrade, the hard drive crashed. I had to re-install the OS and when I tried to reinstall FCE from the original disks, OSX 10.10.2 choked.

Why FCE works on the upgrade, but not on native install to Yosemite is anyone's guess.

Contrary to "MartinR", FCE is not 'obsolete'. It is perfectly fine (unless he's referring to the fact that it ...STILL... doesn't support native MP4, AVI, WMV, RM, MKV, nor MPG! hee hee).

Incidentally, two weeks after that post, Apple announced it was dropping support for Snow Leopard altogether. So 'locking down one's editing system on FCE 4.0.1 + Snow Leopard 10.6.8 because that's the last supported combination of the two' is no longer a solution either.

Bottom line, Apple bowed out of affordable quality video editing when they started charging $15 for iMovie in the app store. (Not to imply iMovie=quality).

Which brings up an important point if you are re-installing your OS: iMovie and Garage Band are no longer bundled and you will need to run a third party software per Apple's instructions if upgrading from 10.6.

Alas, it is a good thing I have Bootcamp still. And so, it's over to my other partition for me, where Premiere, Magix and Vegas await loyally. ...and without the need for a third party solution. "Final Cut".... indeed.

Is FCE (Final Cut Express) compatible with Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.