Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssh password fail

I am trying to connect to a machine using ssh. Have been doing this successfully for more than one year but now the machine rejects my attempts. The password has not changed because I can still use it to vnc into the machine with no problem. ssh diagnostics gave the following results:

PAM: permission denied for username from 82-69-XXX-XXX.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk via 128.163.XX.XXX

Failed keyboard-interactive/pam for username from 82.69.47.151 port 57735 ssh2

debug1: userauth-request for user username service ssh-connection method keyboard-interactive [preauth]

debug1: attempt 2 failures 1 [preauth]

debug1: keyboard-interactive devs [preauth]

debug1: auth2_challenge: user=farman devs= [preauth]

debug1: kbdint_alloc: devices 'pam' [preauth]

debug1: auth2_challenge_start: trying authentication method 'pam' [preauth]

Postponed keyboard-interactive for username from 82.69.XXX.XXX port 57735 ssh2 [preauth]

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 6:02 AM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2014 2:28 PM in response to mlf64

VNC and ssh do not necessarily use the same password, unless by VNC you really mean Mac OS X Screen Sharing which uses your username and password.

You should look in the logs to see what the Mac side is saying about why it rejected your connection.

Applications -> Utilities -> Console -> All Messages

and use the search box to search for 'sshd'

ssh password fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.