Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages font issue

Messages on my Macbook Pro (OSX Yosemite 10.10.1), started displaying the date text as wingdings/webdings/a similar font [see attached].

This issue only happens in Messages (no other apple programs) and I haven't moved any of my fonts around. I already tried disk utility, but that's it. User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 2:02 PM

Hi,

Those "Dates" are also not being shown consistently either.

My dates show two digits slash two digits slash with two digits for the year.

The 11th Month and the 14 for the year and the slashes should then show the same symbols but is does not and the highlighted one has many more characters than needed.

Most apps need Helvetica to be able to Launch.
Helvetica Fractions used to cause issues for iChat in the chat window http://designdepartment.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/garbled-font-in-ichat-mail/

Messages now uses AppleGothic.ttf font to display some to the text in windows for the app.

Lucida Grande still seems to be used for the name of groups in the bars in the Buddy lists.

Open the Font Book app and check these three fonts.

The AppleGothic one is well down the list in the app and is all one word. (and not to be confused with Apple SD Gothic Neo variants).

User uploaded file

10:02 PM Monday; November 24, 2014

​  iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2014 2:02 PM in response to lindsay-vee

Hi,

Those "Dates" are also not being shown consistently either.

My dates show two digits slash two digits slash with two digits for the year.

The 11th Month and the 14 for the year and the slashes should then show the same symbols but is does not and the highlighted one has many more characters than needed.

Most apps need Helvetica to be able to Launch.
Helvetica Fractions used to cause issues for iChat in the chat window http://designdepartment.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/garbled-font-in-ichat-mail/

Messages now uses AppleGothic.ttf font to display some to the text in windows for the app.

Lucida Grande still seems to be used for the name of groups in the bars in the Buddy lists.

Open the Font Book app and check these three fonts.

The AppleGothic one is well down the list in the app and is all one word. (and not to be confused with Apple SD Gothic Neo variants).

User uploaded file

10:02 PM Monday; November 24, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 25, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the extra info.

In Mavericks and Yosemite the Messages has become a little crazy.

Currently in Yosemite not Font choices and no Formatting menu but still called Messages 8 like the Mavericks version.

User uploaded file

6:53 PM Tuesday; November 25, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages font issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.