Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What OS X do I need and how to wipe iMac

I need to wipe clean my iMac I purchased back in 2006. It is a 17" iMac with DVD/CD player built into the side of it. I don't have the original OS X cd and am not sure what the baseline OS X I need in order to get the computer up and running normally that won't slow it down. How do I find out which OS X cd I need? How do I wipe clean the entire computer, and start over?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4), Not sure if it was OS X 10.4 or not

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 10:59 AM

6 replies

Nov 24, 2014 7:21 PM in response to jhawkin1

When you do "About this Mac" from your Apple menu (left end of menubar), what does that say about your processor? You computer is on the cusp between obsolete iMacs with PowerPC processors (1998 through 2005) and the modern iMacs with Intel processors (2006 to present).

If it is Intel, you can skip 10.5 entirely and go straight to OS 10.6 with a US$20 disk from Apple. As proper 10.5 retail install disks are often terribly expensive, that would save you a lot of money.

What OS X do I need and how to wipe iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.