Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite and Aperture (2.1.4) isn't working.

I upgraded to Yosemite and now my Aperture (2.1.4) isn't working. How can I access my Aperture photos to use in iPhoto. I have over 5000 photos I can not lose. I really dont want to buy the new Aperture as I understand Apple has stopped development/support.

When I try to open the library in iPhoto it says Aperture needs to be updated.. Aperture is basically holding my photos hostage right now..

PLEASE HELP

Aperture 2, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 12:58 PM

4 replies

Nov 24, 2014 1:08 PM in response to harker222

You can only access the Aperture library from iPhoto '11, if it has been upgraded by Aperture 3 to the new unified library format.

See: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

After upgrading to Aperture 3.6 and iPhoto 9.6 the applications could share the library. Could a friend or family member with Aperture 3 upgrade your Aperture library for you? You would need to run the upgrade only once.

Aperture 3.6 will be supported by Apple through the life cycle of Yosemite, only there will be no major upgrades.

If all fails, open your Aperture library by ctrl-clicking or right clicking it. Select "show package contents". I never had Aperture 2, so I do not know what the inside of an Aperture 2 library looks like, but in Aperture 3 you would find a folder named "masters" with your original images. But ripping the aperture library package would only give you the originals and none of your editing work or metadata.

Nov 24, 2014 1:40 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your help. It seems all my projects have their own folder. "XXXXXXX.approject"

and then it seems as almost every single photo has its own folder also.

IF I had 100 pictures this wouldn't really be a big deal but with 5000+ Photos I don't really want to grab them one by one clicking through thousands of folders..

As far as family or friends to update my library, that's a negative. It looks like I'll be stuck dropping the $80 on Aperture 3...

Nov 24, 2014 2:07 PM in response to harker222

It looks like I'll be stuck dropping the $80 on Aperture 3...

It's worth it, if you are planning to continue to use Aperture 3 for a few years. A pity, you did not update earlier. Aperture 3 has been out since February 9, 2010.

If you buy Aperture, make a backup of your library. during the upgrade the library will have to be converted to a new format.

And see the release notes: Aperture 3.6 Release notes - Apple Support

Scroll down far to the bottom of the page. There is a paragraph "Learn more", with instructions on upgrading from previous versions.

Yosemite and Aperture (2.1.4) isn't working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.