Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop-up accented letter map gone

Previously when I ran Mavericks, a long keypress would bring up the pop-up menu for accented characters. As I often type words requiring various accents, this was wonderful. I installed Yosemite Beta and things were fine, and then I upgraded when the release came out.

Since updating to 10.10.1, however, a long keypress now gives me character repeats, which is much less useful to me. My computer has been rebooted (more than once) and there are no available system updates.

I'd really like to get my pop-up menu back - help?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 12:31 PM

Hello tsukiyuuki,

As the accents are working for me with OS X 10.10.1 I did some digging and found this.

You can add accent marks and special characters to some letters. For example, hold down the a key to type à, á, â, or other characters.

If you set the Key Repeat slider to Off, special characters won’t appear when you hold down a key.

OS X Yosemite: Set how quickly a key repeats

I tested it and yes, Key Repeat slider to Off stopped the popup accent menus. See if that works for you.

Take care,

Nubz

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2014 12:31 PM in response to tsukiyuuki

Hello tsukiyuuki,

As the accents are working for me with OS X 10.10.1 I did some digging and found this.

You can add accent marks and special characters to some letters. For example, hold down the a key to type à, á, â, or other characters.

If you set the Key Repeat slider to Off, special characters won’t appear when you hold down a key.

OS X Yosemite: Set how quickly a key repeats

I tested it and yes, Key Repeat slider to Off stopped the popup accent menus. See if that works for you.

Take care,

Nubz

Pop-up accented letter map gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.