Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A different credit card number appears on receipt

I've used Apple Pay a few times now. Why are the last four digits shown on the merchant receipt for my
VISA card different than the card I used?

Thanks,

Chris

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 5:32 PM

That's part of the beauty of Apple Pay, not even the merchant knows your actual credit card number.

That number which prints on your receipt is actually the "Device Account Number" assigned when you registered that particular card on your iPhone.

You may check it from within your passbook.

Select the card you used, and then select the Info "i" at the bottom right.

Scroll most of the way to the bottom and you'll see the "tail end" Device Accout Number

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2014 5:32 PM in response to chrisste

That's part of the beauty of Apple Pay, not even the merchant knows your actual credit card number.

That number which prints on your receipt is actually the "Device Account Number" assigned when you registered that particular card on your iPhone.

You may check it from within your passbook.

Select the card you used, and then select the Info "i" at the bottom right.

Scroll most of the way to the bottom and you'll see the "tail end" Device Accout Number

Nov 25, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't recall seeing any explanation of that on Apple's website. I'm still getting used to the process: holding the phone the right way in front of the reader; selecting the credit card; NOT holding down the Home button to wake Siri; signing the receipt. To be truthful, right now it's more cumbersome than pulling a card from my wallet. But those are the risks of being an early adopter, I guess.

Thanks again,

Chris

A different credit card number appears on receipt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.