Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical lines showing with camera - iPhone 6

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1/8.1.1

I've noticed recently that vertical lines appear when using the camera, both front and back facing cameras, across multiple apps (including the default camera app), and they move from the right to the left, most of the time. First I thought it was an issue with the camera itself, and Apple thought that as well, so they replaced the camera in the store for me while I waited. The problem persisted and we thought it might have been the logic board, which I was told they cannot replace due to lack of tools and training for that part, so they ended up replacing my phone completely.

Today I was at work and noticed the lines again. Frustrated, I made another Apple appointment for them to look at my phone. At this point I was thinking it was iOS 8.1.1 related, since I hadn’t noticed the issue before the update last week. I got home before the appointment and I noticed I wasn’t able to see the lines anymore, and I though back to the first time it happened and I didn’t recall being able to see the lines at home then, either. I started to think it may indeed be 8.1.1 related with the way the rolling shutter is controlled by the OS, so I experimented at home a little. I pointed the camera at an LED light bulb and saw stationary lines this time, and only when it focused and adjusted the exposure on the light source, but this time the lines were more broad and not as sharp. I continued experimenting and went into our basement where we have a fluorescent tube lighting fixture near our washer/dryer and noticed the same issue, and this time the lines were interestingly green.

It seemed to me that there may actually be an 8.1.1 issue, so I proceeded to my Apple appointment. The genius was 'intrigued' by the issue and looked up to see if it had been reported, and he couldn’t find any instance yet. We agreed at this point it most likely was not the phone, unless I was _really_ unlucky, so it was either the 8.1.1 update or something in my backups. Recalling not seeing this until 8.1.1, I let him document the issue and I came home to downgrade to 8.1, hoping to conclude this experiment, but so far I’ve noticed that same strange, but blurry, and mostly stationary, lines when refocusing on a strong light source.

I’m at a loss for what this issue might be, and I’m going to try the camera at work again, because I think the lighting at work still might be causing some harsh interaction with the rolling shutter, but I don’t know what to do from here.

I suppose my question is: has anyone else with an iPhone 6 (and possibly 6+) had this issue? It’s most likely not the logic board with what the symptoms are, but I can’t imagine I would get 3 bad cameras in a row. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(Sample pictures below)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 7:15 PM

I also have the same issue regarding my IPhone 6. The front facing camera is fine but the back facing camera is showing lines when it is used in low light places. Everything looks perfectly fine when the camera is used with sunlight. Is there any way that we could fix this issue?

27 replies

Jan 5, 2018 3:26 PM in response to falloutlex

Ever since upgrading my iPhone 6 to ios 10 I am having the same issue with vertical colored lines as falloutlex above. Also, the front facing camera stopped working after the upgrade. When switching to the "selfie cam" the camera app goes black and freezes.

I took the phone to a "genius bar" just after doing the os upgrade. They could only offer me the tips (hard reset, backup and reinstall etc) I had already found in the Apple users forums.

Later on I paid another visit to a different "genius bar" where they confidently told me that the camera issue would be resolved with the next os update.

Now many updates later, and an upgrade to ios 11, I am still having problems with the same vertical colored lines as falloutlex above. And the front facing camera still doesn't work.

Has anybody found a working, repeatable solution to this problem?

Nov 25, 2014 6:56 AM in response to Caleb Dudley

Update: still having the same issue, but only with certain lighting. I asked a co-worker with an iPhone 6 to look at theirs, and they, too, have the lines moving from right to left, which appear to possibly be part of the rolling shutter and how the OS interacts with the camera. She said she hadn't noticed it before and only updated from iOS 8.0 a couple days ago. I don't recall seeing this issue before the 8.1 update, but I can't recall entirely at this moment. Either it's an 8.1 issue, or a larger issue with all iPhone 6 cameras (haven't looked into the 6+).

Anyone else able to reproduce this issue with different lighting around home/work/etc.?

Apr 29, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Caleb Dudley

Yup, it's there alright. I searched for this today since I have noticed it under an LED bulb in my desklamp at work. I have an iPhone 5S. Is the camera in iPhones a rolling shutter CMOS type? BTW, I notice this effect when the camera focuses and also with my co-worker's iphone 6. LED lamps and fluorescent lamps cyclically vary in brightness. In the case of LEDs, I think it is if they are pulse-width-modulated. This is typically how LEDs are dimmed.

May 28, 2016 7:25 PM in response to claybear

I take a lot of jewelry photos on my iPhone 6s. I get the yellow vertical thicker bands as well and I am wondering if it is a ambient lighting issue. In a lot of offices and other places where warm and cool light are mixing it might "confuse" the camera? It happens to me the most when I am using 2 different light sources. An example is I use 2 "warmer" lights on either side of my jewelry and a "cooler" light in the middle. I'm thinking an overlap of beam spread might be the issue. This is is an unedited photo taken at night with just the lights. If you look close, you can see 2 yellow streaking through the middle and right side of this shot vertically. Don't know how this uploaded horizontal though! I might try buying 3 lights of the same kelvin as well.User uploaded file

Vertical lines showing with camera - iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.