Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Faces and Contacts.app Trouble

Yosemite (clean install) and iPhoto (MAS) installed and are up-to-date.

iPhoto uses my previous iPhoto Library backed up from external drive (before clean install Yosemite I moved iPhoto Library to external drive, after installing Yosemite I moved iPhoto Library to "~/username/pictures/" folder and launched iPhoto with holding Option key and choosing my iPhoto Library as default).

Then, trying to add picture in Contacts.app I double-clicked photo-field and in pop-up window chose Faces section (which is not gray or absent as it was in some users reports after upgrading to Mountain Lion OS X. in my case the Faces section is normal and can be chosen).

Inspite of my iPhoto Library has a lot of recognized faces the Faces section in popup window of Contacts.app does not contain any of them just advising me to use iPhoto or Aperture apps to recognize faces.

Rebooting and reinstalling iPhoto.app did not help.

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 6:47 AM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2014 7:15 AM in response to maxfromrussia

Have you updated to the current iPhoto version 9.6?

I had the same problem and repairing the iPhoto library solved it. (iPhoto 9.6, Yosemite 10.10.1)

After that the Contacts.app showed those faces, that had been assigned in iPhoto using the contact card. So, first create the card, use the name from Contacts to label the Faces in iPhoto, and then assign the profile picture in contacts from iPhoto's Faces.

To repair and rebuild open the iPhoto library with the First Aid tools:

• Launch into the First Aid Tools by holding down the key combination option-command ⌥⌘ and double clicking the iPhoto Library icon to launch iPhoto on this library.
  • Keep the two buttons firmly held down, until you are seeing the First Aid panel.
  • Then select "Repair database".

If that does not fix it, back up your iPhoto library and try the other First Aid options as well.

May 18, 2015 4:14 AM in response to maxfromrussia

Same here. I try to add faces from iphoto to contacts (Macbook Air mid-2011, Yosemite 10.10.3) and I have a serious problem with all my greek contacts and some umlauts that some others happen to have. I think it should be addressed by an update. It cannot be so difficult to resolve this issue for apple. And I think it concerns a **** lot of people.

iPhoto Faces and Contacts.app Trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.