Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login window only shows one user account

Hi,

Anyone has an idea what's happening?

I'm running Yosemite on MBPr 15" Mid-2012

When I power on or reboot the laptop, on the login window it only shows one user account, my account which is the Admin account. It doesn't show the secondary normal user account I created for my wife. However once I'm logged in and I hit log-off, then it shows the 2 user accounts available for login.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 7:26 AM

Spog19,

I believe your issue relates to FileVault being turned on on your Mac.

Users not enabled for FileVault unlock are only able to log into the computer after an unlock-enabled user has started or unlocked the drive. Once unlocked, the drive remains unlocked and available to all users, until the computer is restarted.

To Enable the users to be able to unlock FileVault Go to:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault ( Tab ) > Click the Lock in the bottom right > Put in your administrator password > Should see an option to Enable Users > Enable User.

Hope that helps,

Weston

Supporting Articles,

OS X: About FileVault 2 - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2014 7:26 AM in response to Spog19

Spog19,

I believe your issue relates to FileVault being turned on on your Mac.

Users not enabled for FileVault unlock are only able to log into the computer after an unlock-enabled user has started or unlocked the drive. Once unlocked, the drive remains unlocked and available to all users, until the computer is restarted.

To Enable the users to be able to unlock FileVault Go to:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault ( Tab ) > Click the Lock in the bottom right > Put in your administrator password > Should see an option to Enable Users > Enable User.

Hope that helps,

Weston

Supporting Articles,

Nov 25, 2014 7:48 AM in response to westongallagher

The lock is on the bottom left not bottom right. Sorry mixed that up.

Letting other users unlock the drive

If you want to make the Mac available to a user that doesn't currently have unlock capabilities, log in as a user that can unlock the disk. When you see your own desktop, choose "Log Out (user name)" from the Apple () menu. Also, you can unlock the disk, then switch to another user from Fast User Switch menu in the menu bar.

If you want to grant existing users the ability to unlock the drive on their own, open the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences. Select the FileVault tab and click the lock icon in the lower left corner of the window. Enter your admin privileges when prompted. Click the "Enable Users..." button to add existing users to the list of accounts that can unlock the disk.

Hope that helps,

Weston

Supporting Articles,

Login window only shows one user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.