Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S Random Camera Freeze

Hello Apple users. I got my iPhone 4s as a gift from my uncle from USA, and I TOTALLY LOVE IT. 😀

When I got it, it had iOS 7.1.2 installed I think. I used to take photos with its beautiful iSight camera fine. 🙂

However, after upgrading my 4S to iOS 8.1.1, and even sooner (iOS 8.0 and 8.1) my camera practically stopped to work. How? 😕

The front camera mostly works fine. I mean that it doesn't freeze. The main camera in the back is worse. I mean it technically works, but it freezes after some seconds, stays frozen for about 10 seconds and unfreezes again. All. The. Time. 😟 Nothing seems to fix that. However I haven't tried third-party apps.

I wiped my iPhone and restored it from iTunes but this does not seem to fix my problem.

I really love my iDevice but I cannot enjoy it as Apple promises. I really use to take photos with it, to share important moments... and now it doesn't work.

Please help me.

I have a iPhone 4S White 32GB, iOS 8.1.1, model A1387.

Please, please help me fix this. I hate to not be able to use the camera. 😟

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.1, Color White, 32 GB

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 8:46 AM

To rule out a software issue, set it up again as new device, this time without using the backup data afterwards. If the camera works after that, restore from the backup.

If the camera still does not work after setting it up as new, the phone has to be checked.

But, since this phone has been bought in the USA, you'll have to bring it back to get it serviced or getting it replaced by paying the service fee for the Out-Of-Warranty-Service.

Service Answer Center - iPhone

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Daniel Révay

To rule out a software issue, set it up again as new device, this time without using the backup data afterwards. If the camera works after that, restore from the backup.

If the camera still does not work after setting it up as new, the phone has to be checked.

But, since this phone has been bought in the USA, you'll have to bring it back to get it serviced or getting it replaced by paying the service fee for the Out-Of-Warranty-Service.

Service Answer Center - iPhone

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Nov 25, 2014 10:09 AM in response to Daniel Révay

Sorry, but downgrading is not supported by Apple. If you are not having the chance to get it serviced in the country of origin, you might have to search for a 3rd party repair shop for iPhones. Maybe they can find the reason for your camera not working. Getting it serviced by someone else than Apple will void the warranty and Apple will not service this device anymore in the future, but this might be the only chance to get your camera working again without being able to bring it back to the USA.

Dec 26, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Daniel Révay

Guys, nothing helped. I reset from factory settings 6 times already, installed 3rd party camera software, NOTHING.

I HAVE TO USE MY CAMERA. APPLE IS PROUD OF ITS iSIGHT CAMERA, HOW GRACEFUL ARE THE iPHONES WITH THIS ISSUE: NO VIDEO, NO PHOTOS, NO FACETIME. THANK YOU APPLE.

I WENT DOWNTOWN THIS NIGHT, I COULDN'T TAKE PHOTOS OF MY CITY, MY FAMILY, I CANNOT SHARE HAPPY MOMENTS WITH MY RELATIVES THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY. I GOT GROUNDED FOR THIS.

I HAD TO TAKE A PHOTO FOR THE FACE OF SOME BULLIES THAT BEAT UP MY BEST FRIEND. NO, CAMERA DIDN'T WORK. THE POLICE COULDN'T HELP ME BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE A PICTURE OF THEIR FACES. MY BEST FRIEND IS NOW ANGRY AT ME.

MY GRANDMOTHER TOOK AWAY MY iPHONE BECAUSE SHE THINKS IT'S "USELESS" BECAUSE I COULDN'T TAKE PHOTOS OF HER TO SEND THEM TO HER SON FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY.

THIS CAMERA ISSUE MADE ME A LOT OF PROBLEMS. APPLE, IF YOU DO NOT HELP US, YOU WILL GET CRUSHED BY SAMSUNG.

We are trying to help you make your products better, Apple. We paid a lot of money for our iPhones. We could have chosen other brands, they have bigger screens, maybe better battery life. But no. We stick to you, Apple. We know that your products are very... genuine, or "simple, beautiful, amazing".

Please, people, with freezing cameras causes by iOS, spread the word. I will keep bumping this until hopefully Apple will hear our message. This naughty camera made me a lot of serious problems.

Help us, Apple. Please. Or you will just lose a lot of buyers, turning your "amazing, helpful, genuine" kind of company reputation in a "careless about older devices" one.

I will continuously bump this. Spread the word, people.

iPhone 4S Random Camera Freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.