Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exchange contacts "The operation couldn't be completed. (SOAPWebServicesErrorDomain error -997.)"

I was first having some issues with the notes app and my exchange notes (office 365). It keep saying the password was incorrect and would ask for a new one even though I would enter the correct password. In trying to fix this, I tried removing my exchange account from "Internet Accounts" in System Preferences. I removed all contacts, email, notes etc when I did this.

Upon adding the exchange account again, my mail, notes, and calendar appear to be working, but none of the contacts in my main exchange contacts folder are appearing and when I click the ! triangle icon beside my exchange account in Contacts, it says "The operation couldn't be completed. (SOAPWebServicesErrorDomain error -997.)"

This is occurring on Early 2013 MBP 13" Retina as well as my Mid 2011 21" iMac. Both are running Yosemite 10.10.1

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 8:36 AM

49 replies

Nov 26, 2014 4:05 AM in response to Linc Davis

Have exactly the same issue & error, after upgrade to Yosemite Contacts sync into Office365 does not work anymore.

Disabling/enabling autodiscovery does not help.

One note though: When adding Office365 account it complains about invalid SSL certificate and when I take a look at it, it is the one from my domain and not the Office365 server. It looks like it is trying somehow to communicate with it instead of Office365 server when retrieving contacts. Server settings on Contacts is set to outlook.office365.com, both internal and external and it still is trying to use my domain for this purpose.

Mail works, notes work. Reminders have also an issue, something that they cannot be updated.

Nov 26, 2014 10:00 AM in response to juvander

I've been experimenting with this... In my case it seems if contacts have a category applied to them from outlook, they won't sync. When I removed the the category in outlook for mac 2011, they show up in my contacts again.

Do you use categories and/or outlook? Maybe you have categories associated with the reminders you're trying to update?

Nov 26, 2014 11:06 AM in response to keyser79

No, does not make a difference if there are categories or not.

Entry I find in log is this:

26/11/14 21:03:16,381 CalendarAgent[220]: Exception fetching ABCDContact in context <ABManagedObjectContext: 0x7f7fd36ce740>: keypath birthdayComponents not found in entity <NSSQLEntity ABCDContact id=21>

Not sure if this is related, but I do have birthdays set for some contacts. And not going to remove those 🙂.

Nov 26, 2014 12:49 PM in response to juvander

An update: I finally installed Outlook for OS X, added category for contacts, removed it and now I'm able to sync again!

Adding & removing categories on Windows Outlook was not enough, that needed to be done using OS X version of Outlook.

And to get rid of this error, this update needed to be done also for Suggested Contacts and after this update, remove Exchange account in Internet accounts and add it again.

Simply disabling/enabling Contacts sync was not enough.

Go figure.

I found in the log an entry saying that "Type not found in EWSContactItemType for DisplayNamePrefix". Playing around with OS X Outlook might have just added it. Or then not.

Nov 26, 2014 1:34 PM in response to juvander

I'm showing the same log entry - "Type not found in EWSContactItemType for DisplayNamePrefix" on my machine as well that doesn't have outlook installed on it...

Were you using the latest subscription based Outlook for OS X?

EDIT: I should mention i can currently sync contacts as long as they don't have a category, but as soon as I give it a category those contacts stop syncing again.

Nov 27, 2014 4:37 PM in response to keyser79

Same issue here.

Add a exchange account (Office365), my mail, notes, and calendar appear to be working, but none of the contacts in my main exchange contacts folder are appearing. When I click the ! triangle icon beside my exchange account in Contacts, it says "The operation couldn't be completed. (SOAPWebServicesErrorDomain error -997.)"

MBA 2012, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Nov 27, 2014 8:59 PM in response to lucrum-dk

I think this has to do with the DisplayNamePrefix that shows up in the logs as

Nov 27 20:39:24 ComputerName Contacts[68033]: -[SOAPParser:0x6080002493f0 parser:didStartElement:namespaceURI:qualifiedName:attributes:] Type not found in EWSContactItemType for DisplayNamePrefix (t:DisplayNamePrefix)

There's a bit of info on this property here. In my case, I have SageCRM that is syncing contacts via web services to my office 365 mailbox. I believe this service is giving this property to a value (maybe null?). Outlook for Mac is able to display the contact normally. If I edit the contact in Outlook (by changing any of the property values or categories) and open mac Contacts app, it will show up.

I think when I apply this change in Outlook, I believe it strips the (null) DisplayNamePrefix property and saves it back to the server allowing it to sync back to mac address book.

I don't have a real fix for this - I think this is a bug with the contacts app.

Nov 28, 2014 11:20 AM in response to lucrum-dk

I just tried adding my office 365 account on another machine with Yosemite 10.10, and the issue was occurring for me there as well.

At first I didn't notice this happening because my contacts appeared to be there, but they were not syncing to the latest version on office 365. I had removed my office 365 account from my "internet accounts" in system preferences and re-added it to try to fix an issue with notes, and it was at this point that I noticed my contacts were no longer downloading or syncing.

Dec 6, 2014 3:16 PM in response to juvander

HI, I tried this and this seems to have fixed the issue except i would add 1 more step here. Once you have put the internet account back on you also need to restart your computer as this will remove the !error.

I just switched from having a windows computer to a mac so i was disappointed when i had come across this error. When i rang apple support they did their best to try and help me however their final answer was that there is nothing that they can do and because it is a microsoft product it may not be compatible.

Hoping that Apple can recognise and address this issue as we should not have to revert to forums over their trained support to get answers.

Dec 7, 2014 6:55 AM in response to keyser79

This doesn't fix the issue for me! My steps are:

- Adding & removing categories for contacts with the OS X version of Outlook (I tried both, Outlook Mac 2011 and the latest version Outlook 15.3 from Office 365)

- Removing the exchange account in Internet accounts

- Restart the mac and adding the exchange account

- Start Contacts and the same story "The operation couldn't be completed. (SOAPWebServicesErrorDomain error -997.)"

I hope, we get a solution with Yosemite 10.10.2!

exchange contacts "The operation couldn't be completed. (SOAPWebServicesErrorDomain error -997.)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.