Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Blu-Ray Burner for Mac Pro 5,1? ATAPI

Hi everyone.

I have a MacPro 5,1- 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (OS 10.6.8)

I installed an internal ATAPI Pioneer Blu-Ray burner a few years ago (Pioneer BDR-206DKS). The motor to eject the disc seems to have burned out recently.

I'm looking to replace it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best model to replace it with that's compatible with my Mac? (must be internal and ATAPI).

Other than the motor issue with this burner, I've been pretty happy with Pioneer, but am open to others.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 GHz Quad Core- Intel

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 8:05 AM

9 replies

Apr 8, 2017 10:18 AM in response to RAfBOy

I Know this post was written some time ago. However, I recently purchased this drive for my Mac Pro 5,1 running El Capitan. While the drive is recognized, it reports errors when trying to burn blu rays through toast. It will load previously burned blu-rays though. I have disabled the option of putting the hard drives to sleep as I've seen that helps, but it did nothing. Are you able to report that this drive works fine under El Capitan? And if so, do you have any advice on how I can get it to do so?

Apr 10, 2017 5:35 AM in response to Christian Stueben

I have an LG, but it appears to have broken. Every disc I put in it reports a medium sense key error when attempting to burn it. I replaced it with the Pioneer that seems to be doing better, but I still get the medium sense key error on a lot of discs. I am trying to troubleshoot if it is the drive, my computer (a cable or something?), or the discs themselves.

Best Blu-Ray Burner for Mac Pro 5,1? ATAPI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.