Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Screen Capture not working...

Hello to all out there. Really hoping someone can help me with this problem.

My video screen capture within Quicktime is not working, at all. Here is what happens.
I open Quicktime, go to FILE then New Screen Recording. The usual method. It tells me to click the screen to record and everything starts out as usual. I have tried this while recording my artwork process in both Manga Studio EX 5 and in Photoshop CC. While working in both programs the same thing happens. It appears to be working as normal, until I click the stop recording button. Then I get the color wheel of doom and Quicktime get's completely stuck... indefinitely. I"ve let it go for over 24 hours, just to see, and nothing, it simply becomes unresponsive and must be Force Quit. Then upon re-opening, I magically have a 2 minute video only of the work I did.

Now here is the catch, I have downloaded every single software for screen capture that is out there, loaded it up on my mac tower, and had similar results with everything. Every screen capture software crashes. So the problem must be with the OS right?

It's really important that I get this working for business reasons.

Another note, this did not happen until I installed Mavericks on my computer. That is when I first noticed this problem (it's possible it was there prior but I hadn't noticed) Now I am running Yosemite. I had hoped a fresh install of Yosemite would fix it. I was mistaken.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Gone way too long without being able to record. In the mean time I have a temp solution via Livestream, but it is not a viable longterm solution.

Sincerely,

JCH Studio

Computer specs: Mac Pro (mid 2012) Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC; Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB;
I am also using a Wacom Cintiq tablet 22HD

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 3:15 PM

7 replies

Dec 2, 2014 5:37 PM in response to scarymonkey

I have your same issue, I was trying to record my mangastudio session and even with 5 minutes of recording it stucks with the rainbow wheel, and upon forced exit and re-opening quicktime shows a clip of maximum 1 minute and few seconds.
With other software it doesn't even save that, you can just force exit.

I'm working on a cintiq 22HD, so I don't know if that may be the issue frankly, I tried with dual standalone monitor or simply duplicating and same result.

MacBook Pro (Retina, mid 2012)

2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Dec 2, 2014 11:39 PM in response to joelfall

I have a similar problem. I used to reliably do screen recordings. That is, I would do the screen recording, I would save the recording and I would be able to view it. Now, I have intermittently been able to save the recording, but most of the time what I have saved is several minutes only of what should have been a much longer recording. In the last two weeks, I have one recording of about 53 minutes....but otherwise all the recordings seem to stop early, I am unaware of it, I save the recording and it's only several minutes long. Very bizarre. Screencapture used to be reliable.

I am running OSX 10.9.5

2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7

16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro mid-2012

May 28, 2015 4:10 PM in response to scarymonkey

It's been a while since the OP, but I too have this issue. After some digging I found that Manga Studio 5 EX + Mavericks (and Yosemite) is a common thread and remains my main problem. Quicktime will do screen recordings right up until I switch into MS5 to get going.

I've searched many forums for quicktime issues but now I'm trying to narrow down searches specifically with MS5 to find any solutions. As you can imagine results are not as numerous. If anyone has any advice or something they've learned since OP, please share!

Aug 7, 2015 4:23 PM in response to joelfall

I see this issue has been reported wide spread with no resolution for quite some time. I was using quicktime for screen capture reliably sometime many times per day in Mountain Lion. It is the primary function of this machine. I started having the exact same issue reported in the original post here immediately after "upgrading" to Yosemite (OS X 10.10.4) this week. Has anyone found a solution? I am very surprised Apple has not fixed this. My system specs:

Mac mini

Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 core

Memory 4 GB

Intel HD 4000 GPU w/ 1024 MB

If I can't get this fixed, my Mac is useless to me, and I will be forced to use another product, and I will feel obligated to warn the 30,000 viewers per month on my various YouTube channels to NOT go with Mac if they plan to do screen capture. It seem apparent this function is prevented by the latest versions of Max OS X.

Aug 24, 2015 10:00 AM in response to scarymonkey

Both of my daughters are having this problem. One of them has a 27 inch iMac with an i5 processor and 16 gigs of ram which was purchased in 2013. The other has a brand new 27 inch iMac with an i7 processor. Neither of them can screen record with quicktime or any other screen recording software. We took the i5 iMac into the apple store a few months back and they reinstalled the operating system and told us the problem was fixed. It wasn't. This is frustrating as they are no longer able to upload their screen recorded videos to youtube and they have thousands of subscribers. I have not been able to find a solution.

Does any have an answer to this problem?

I am bewildered and amazed that we about to switch to Sony computers and Windows 10 because this seeming small but very very important bug can't be fixed.

Is Apple doing this on purpose?

Quicktime Screen Capture not working...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.