Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

enter words vertically in a narrow cell in numbers

I want to enter words vertically in a narrow cell, like in excel, being able to change angle.

also can I create macros in numbers, Have one database, and when I make changes, the changes are automatically made to all corresponding tables

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 7:00 PM

11 replies

May 2, 2015 12:24 PM in response to Botjem

Numbers really doesn't have this feature. The User tips and other methods of achieving this are work arounds to use the features that do exist to make this feature. None of them are perfect.

If this feature is essential, then you will have to post feedback to Apple using the menu item "Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback" and use a different program like Excel

May 2, 2015 8:30 PM in response to AndreGB

AndreGB wrote:

Yellowbox, all that looks nice and pretty but it doesn't work when you freeze the header panels.

If you want it to work when you freeze the header panels then you can take a screenshot of the text box with rotated text, open it in Preview, select the part you want to display in the cell, command-c, click once in the header cell where you want the text displayed, and command-v to paste as a background image for that cell.

User uploaded file

SG

May 2, 2015 8:42 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks SGIII. Yes, that works indeed, but it is not one of the most elegant solutions, don't you agree? Apple makes such elegant devices and apps, Numbers is just missing that feature. If you notice the Arrange panel when typing on a cell, the rotate options are greyed out. So I guess it would just be a matter of implementing that function.

Anyway, that is the solution I have been using when it is absolutely necessary for me to rotate texts. However, I use an image manipulation software (like Pixelmator) to create the PNG image with transparent background. This way I can get all the text sub pixel rendering intact and still change the cell's color fill if I have to. The image behaves really nice this way (almost like a true text), but I'd still wish everyone sent a feedback to Apple to do it officially within the app.

May 3, 2015 6:37 AM in response to AndreGB

This is a work around that attempts to make sure the vertical text you paste into the table is PDF format. PNG will be pixelated and is not as robust.

Type your headers in to a table like this (in column A), then click on the canvas of the sheet (the background). Now click and hold not he canvas, then drag into the table so it is selected, copy:

User uploaded file

Now open Preview (or Skim in this example) and select the menu item "File > New From Clipboard"

User uploaded file

Now rotate the content as needed:

User uploaded file

Now use the rectangular selection tool to select the vertical text:

User uploaded file

copy

Now switch back to Numbers and paste into a cell. Size the cell as needed. Paste a PNG of the same text in an adjacent cell to confirm there is a difference.

enter words vertically in a narrow cell in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.