Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus Protection

Is PC Healthline a legit anti virus company or was I scammed? I have an iMac computer. They worked on it remotely and I am now concerned that I was hacked. What should I do?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 2:47 AM

11 replies

Nov 26, 2014 4:26 AM in response to erniefromoakbrook

erniefromoakbrook wrote:

Is PC Healthline a legit anti virus company or was I scammed? I have an iMac computer. They worked on it remotely and I am now concerned that I was hacked. What should I do?

PC Healthline is certainly not a company I've ever heard of, and I would never consider allowing a company like this to work on my Mac, remotely or otherwise.

The big question, though, is this: did you seek them out and call them, seeking their assistance? Or did you call them in response to some pop-up in your web browser that said you had a virus, or something similar, and told you to call them? If the latter, you got scammed. NEVER call the number given by some random pop-up in your web browser.

Unfortunately, if you did get tricked, your computer has been remotely manipulated by scammers, and its system and all data on it should now be considered compromised. There is no anti-virus in the world that will fix this for you. You will need to erase your computer's hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. (See How to reinstall Mac OS X from scratch.)

Once that is done, you will need to change the passwords of all your online accounts. If you have any financial account information stored in unencrypted form on your computer, you will need to contact the financial institutions in question and report the issue to them so they can be on the lookout for fraudulent activity. If you gave this company a credit card to "pay" them for their "service," the issuing bank needs to be contacted so the card can be cancelled and reissued.

Nov 26, 2014 10:54 AM in response to erniefromoakbrook

erniefromoakbrook wrote:

I was directed on the computer to call Apple and was connected to PC Healthline.

Yes, that's a scam. PC Healthline is not associated in any way with Apple, so the fact that you were given a number that was supposed to be Apple and actually connected you to PC Healthline is a great big, giant red flag.

They installed Adblock Plus and Blur (formerly DoNotTrackMe) and Chrome which I believe are all products offered on Apple's online store.

Those are all legit. They are not concerning. What's concerning is what else they might have done that you were not aware of.

Do you still think I have been hacked?

I am 100% sure, with absolutely no degree of uncertainty, that you have been scammed. Did they install a keylogger or something similar on your machine while they were installing those other things? I don't know. Possibly not, but do you really want to leave that as an unknown?

It may seem like a major imposition to erase your hard drive, but keep in mind, there's no test you can do to certify the computer as clean. And it's a much more significant imposition if you ignore the possibility of a problem only to find at some later date that someone has drained your bank account or stolen your identity using the data stolen from your computer through spyware watching over a period of time of normal use.

Nov 26, 2014 11:26 AM in response to erniefromoakbrook

Without a doubt, you have been hacked. No question whatsoever.

It's already been fully stated by Thomas, but the security of any and all of your personal data is now virtually certain to have been compromised. There's no telling what else they installed, or had you install. You absolutely should not be typing in any passwords, bank account numbers, etc. until you have erased the drive and reinstalled everything from scratch.

To reiterate Thomas' suggestions since they are very important you do immediately!

1) After erasing your computer and reinstalling your software, change all important passwords. You can't do it beforehand since a key logger may be sending the crooks everything you type. So changing them before erasing won't get you anywhere since they will capture every change.

2) Cancel any credit cards and have new cards sent.

Nov 26, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Just because I was curious…

PC Healthline has their own Facebook page. Notice that every single post is an advertisement for themselves without a single user response. Obviously blocked against third party posting. Can't have people calling them out for the scammers they are.

Their main web site is here. Five pages of happy, happy, happy customer reviews. Nothing less than four stars out of five. All fake, I'm sure.

When you have each credit card company on the line to replace your cards, also dispute any charges for PC Healthline to have them reversed. Explain that you were called and scammed into believing something needed to be fixed on your computer.

Nov 26, 2014 4:00 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you for all your responses. I called both my credit card company and

Apple. The credit card transactions only show that charge and nothing

suspicious with any other charges. Apple's tech people worked on my

computer on line and did a complete check eliminating the PC Healthline

software add ons and cleaned up anything else that wasn't needed. They

felt that I was definitely hacked but after looking at my computer in total

they didn't hit other certain parts that would raise additional concerns.

Do you still think the hard drive needs to be addressed ?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Apple Support Communities Updates <

Nov 26, 2014 4:16 PM in response to erniefromoakbrook

erniefromoakbrook wrote:

Do you still think the hard drive needs to be addressed ?

Yes. It is not possible to rule out all possible ways that the scammers could have left themselves back doors into your system. If you don't address the issue, chances are good that you'll be fine... but there's still a chance that you won't be, and that you won't know until you're screwed. It's your choice whether you want to take this chance. If you're willing to play the odds, don't bother. If you're not, erase the hard drive.

Nov 27, 2014 4:16 AM in response to erniefromoakbrook

erniefromoakbrook wrote:

I have never erased a hard drive and I am not a tech savvy. I believe I am backed up in iCloud but what steps would you suggest I take ?

See the link I gave you in my first post above. It will step you through the process.

Do you know if Apple does this type of thing?

They will erase your hard drive for you and reinstall the system, but that's the easy part, and from there it will be your job to restore data and reinstall software. Apple techs may offer to restore your apps and data from a backup, which would just restore potential problems, and would not be the way to go.

Virus Protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.