Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I print a Numbers document showing the Row Numbers on the left-hand side?

I am trying to print a Numbers document showing the Row Numbers which appear on the left-hand side of the document. When I print out - these numbers disappear. What to do?

Thanks

Lecia

Mac OS X (10.7.2), Various

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 3:19 AM

13 replies

Nov 26, 2014 5:09 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hello Ian

I am very sorry - but I don't' understand and could you please be a bit more specific.

Method 1 Row () function in Column A - where do I find this? If I click on Column A I don't see this option.

Method 2 I have tried inserting an additional table to the left of the existing one by going to TABLE>Add Column Before but nothing happens.

Lecia

Nov 26, 2014 5:24 AM in response to Leciaatapple

Hi Leciaatapple;

To clear the suggestion made by YellowBox;

Method 1: Type =Row() in cell A2 and press return (enter) key. It displays number 2 in the cell.

Now fill the cell down using the yellow handle that is displayed when the cell A2 is selected and rested mouse pointer on it.

Method 2: Go to Insert menu > Table pad > Basic option.

A table will be created on the page.

Position the newly created table beside the main table.

This is what YellowBox tried to suggest you.

Regards,

Nov 26, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Leciaatapple

Hi Lecia,

The quickest approach is Method 1

Add a column to the left of your main table. Do that by clicking on the down arrow on the A label. My Column A happens to be a Header Column

User uploaded file

If you don't have a Header Column (and don't want one) do this

User uploaded file

The new Column A is where you put the =ROW() formula

Copy this:

=ROW()

Double Click on the label A to select all Body Cells

Paste

User uploaded file

Each Body Cell of Column A now contains the formula =ROW()

That will print.

If you like, you can remove the cell fill and cell borders from Column A. Make Column A narrower.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

P.S. I just got an email notification of Naikosen's reply. Neat 🙂. Ian

Nov 26, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Naikosen

Thank you Nakosien. Simple when you knowhow. Of course what I was TRYING to do was get it to print out the numbers as shown in the grid - never occurred to me to actually put in the row numbers myself!

Finally, am I right in thinking that even if I have put No.1 in A1 - it will not "fill' as I can't seem to pull it down as I can in A2.

lecia

Nov 26, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Leciaatapple

Hi Leciaatapple;

(what I was TRYING to do was get it to print out the numbers as shown in the grid)

To get row numbers printed as displayed by default, create a snapshot of it and place ahead/aside of the table.

(Finally, am I right in thinking that even if I have put No.1 in A1 - it will not "fill' as I can't seem to pull it down as I can in A2.)

This is because the row 1 is formatted as header row.

If we specify the header row to 0 as below, we can pull it down as we could in A2.

User uploaded file

Regards,

How do I print a Numbers document showing the Row Numbers on the left-hand side?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.