Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(OSStatus error -54)

hi guys , i had to do a time machine reinstall yesterday. since then none of my videos work in iphoto .

if i click on a video and do reveal in finder i can see and view the videos using quicktime player. is there any way of getting the videos back in iphoto.. theres literally hundreds of them!!

im running osx yosemite, with iphoto 9.6

i did a time machine install as i had malware .. mac keeper etc thats i just couldnt get rid off and was throwing all my browsers nuts and they kept crashing. i tried what was suggested when searching those issues but with no luck so last resort was to go back in time machine before that software was on the computer. anyway ive lost photos added after that date which aint to much of an issue , but all the vidoes of the family etc now just wont play..

any help appreciated.. thank you

Chris

iMac, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 5:50 AM

9 replies

Nov 26, 2014 7:34 AM in response to Chris Pugh

One reason why videos don't play after extensive cleaning might be a missing cached file.

With MacOSX Mavericks and Mt. Lion it helped to rebuild the cache using a Terminal command:

Try this fix posted by andyBall_UK

• Open a Terminal window (the Terminal.app is in Applications > Utilities)
  • Copy and paste the line below into the Terminal window, hit return and enter your administrator password.

sudo /usr/libexec/xpchelper --rebuild-cache

If you do not want to use a Terminal command you can achieve the same thing by booting into recovery and reinstalling the system on top of your current system - don't wipe the drive again. OS X: About OS X Recovery

Jun 7, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Yer_Man

Nope!! When I found out that something was missing in my post (this solution didn't solve my problem ) was to late to edit it! I've a lot of video that I can't re-import into iPhoto because it says they are "an unrecognised format". I've tried to trim a little bit of video with QT to "change" something but it didn't work.

(OSStatus error -54)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.