Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Not Upgrade to Yosemite w/ Macbook Pro: Severe Monitor Glitch

Jesus,

I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro that has been running very smooth with Mavericks OS X.

After upgrading to Yosemite my monitor has had sever issues and requires frequent restarts after the system crashes.

In hopes of a fixing this with an update, I updated to OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, but this still occurs.

This problem is especially apparent when viewing NetFlix, browsing the web with multiple tabs and using Google Maps.

The laptop's screen displays this strange glitch pattern as shown in the photo below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

When this laptop model debuted, I had this identical issue and after returning two laptops, I finally received one that worked -- at the time I believe it was running Snow Leopard.

This is a very serious issue to deal with especially while editing video. When it crashes I lose everything that I was working on.

Notes: I have enabled and disabled "Automatic Graphics Switching" in hopes of fixing this... with no luck.

I have done a SMC reset with no luck.

After resetting the PRAM, this issue still exists.

I'm looking at reverting back to Mavericks 10.9 because this glitch never occurred.

When editing, I'll plug in an AOC USB Monitor and the issue still exists.

Any ideas on a fix?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Don't update to 10.10

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 10:34 AM

2 replies

Do Not Upgrade to Yosemite w/ Macbook Pro: Severe Monitor Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.