Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Chrome so much faster than Safari?

I'm an Apple and Safari lover, but love goes only so far. I have tried everything with Safari in Yosemite, but it's really in a sad state when it won't even open my Google account page, or my own website. Sadly, I have found so many pages that either load so slowly that I give up, or don't open at all in Safari, yet Chrome always works, and fast. In fact, Firefox and Opera, both of which I have never used regularly are much better than Safari right now.

Does anyone have a clue as to why Safari has turned into such a poor browser in Yosemite? But please don't suggest I go to safe mode. I only want a decent browser, which I would prefer was Safari and not Chrome, but I do not want to deconstruct or rebuild my Macbook Air OS installation.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), macbook pro, iPad Air, iPhone 5

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 1:12 PM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2015 7:32 PM in response to bobsled

Funny. I'm finding exactly the opposite to be true. I've used Chrome since it came out, and it used to be far superior to Safari. Lately I find it to be very buggy--lots of jittery, time consuming page loads and crashes. Frustrated, I imported all of my stuff to Safari where loading times, scrolling, and navigation are like butter. No crashes and no loading issues on my MB Pro. So far so good.

I do wonder if it has something to do with the "baggage" I developed on Chrome over the years. I kept things pretty tidy--purging history, cookies, etc-- but it still just kept getting worse.

I guess Firefox is an option, but one thing is certain: I will not be returning to IE ****.

Aug 14, 2015 5:47 PM in response to bobsled

I totally agree with you I want to love Safari and it just keeps messing (F) up so badly so mangled, so unusable, I gave up completely -- flat out. In fact, I can't even install Chrome unless I reboot and first time before any hidden script takes over, I installed Chrome and I was in heaven.

Reading the complete opposite experience of this other user, I feel there is a rogue script out there just like a virus trying to bore through whatever browser -- and it seems the longer you use a browser, it gets worse and no one seem to want to or be doing anything about it.

I say, backup your newly installed desktop and just restore it once in awhile. It sounds horrible but unless a permanent solution, I would rather do that than live with a crippling system.

I have used both Norton for the past 2 years and recently switched to McAfee -- I'll use whatever recommended protection. But they won't seem to be able to find high CPU scripts or any kind of malware.

Why is Chrome so much faster than Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.