Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot reindex with spotlight after installing Yosemite

After" downgrading" from Maverick to Yosemite Sam, I am TOTALLY unable to reindex with Spotlight. I have tried all recommendations from Terminal to doing the HD shuffle with Spotliight. I have never been able to get the progress bar to finish. I do have parallels and window installed and have excluded the "incompatible software" folder from spotlight indexing. I called tech support and have reinstalled Yosemite twice now, each from a different server. I have verified disk permissions several times along with verifying the disk several times. I have utilized the Command R function to access the boot on restarting.

Before I went to Yosemite, I was able to get the Spotlight to index by cleaning up my files with ONYX. It does not work now. All of this has occurred due to my needing to keep my passwords in the Cloud with 1Password program. My iPads were updated with the latest version of 1Password and this forced my Mac desktop to upgrade to Yosemite in order to get a latest version of 1Password to talk to the iPads via iCloud. This process also forced me to PAY for an upgrade to Parallels in order to run Windows 7 on the desktop.. Moral of the story.........never upgrade your software with Apple.

Anyone who is a Guru in this matter should chime in and offer some advise for this affects many users I am sure. Of course I expect the self righteous wanna-bees Network engineers to smart off their frustrations and belittle the issue. This appears to be more of a beta release than an upgrade. Shame on me for ever thinking that Apple would offer an improvement to their product. I have spent way too much time trying to resolve this so as you can see....... I am PO'ed.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Yosemite upgrade on Mac from Maveri

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 2:47 PM

14 replies

Nov 26, 2014 4:15 PM in response to Chacamutzy

Step 1

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -F '$Time $Message' -k Sender mdworker -o -k Message Rne Norm -k Sender mds | tail | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Step 2

Enter the following command as in Step 1 and post the output:

mdutil -as 2>&- | pbcopy

You can then quit Terminal.

Step 3

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Terminal. In the Console window, look under the heading DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION on the left for crash reports related to Spotlight. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar. A Spotlight crash report has a name beginning in "mds" or "mdworker" and ending in ".crash". Select the most recent such report, if any, from the System and User subcategories and post the entire contents—the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post any other kind of diagnostic report, such as hang logs—they're very long and not helpful.

Nov 27, 2014 6:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

I appreciate any help and this information is way above my pay grade. Here is the information you requested. It was all that came up from the steps you instructed me to do.

This is from the Terminal window generated in the clipboard:

Nov 27 08:23:46 Malformed BEGIN

Nov 27 08:23:46 ; Voice C

Nov 27 08:23:46 vCard Syntax Error, character: 9 : C

Nov 27 08:23:47 Malformed BEGIN

Nov 27 08:23:47 ; Voice C

Nov 27 08:23:47 vCard Syntax Error, character: 9 : C

Nov 27 08:23:47 Malformed BEGIN

Nov 27 08:23:47 ; Voice C

Nov 27 08:23:47 vCard Syntax Error, character: 9 : C

Nov 27 08:52:51 (DiskStore.Warning:967) ReimportedAltNames repair issued for 0 items

After step 2:

/:

Indexing enabled.

/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 10:

Indexing disabled.

After step 3:

There was no information shown under User or System diagnostics reports. I deleted the SENDERMACHUUID number. You may need this I do not know. The only info was under Diagnostic and Usage Messages:

11/26/14 19:11:13.320 mds[33]: getgrouplist called triggering group enumeration

com.apple.message.value: 16

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.system.libinfo

com.apple.message.result: noop

com.apple.message.signature: getgrouplist

Nov 27, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

I did find a crash log if this helps. From some of the other help that I have received, it appears that I may have a corrupt file located somewhere? This is the best I could do to find any logs with my current knowledge.

Nov 26 19:10:47.048975 localhost discoveryd_helper[153]: Detailed RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper XPC connection 0x7ff010e005f0: start (pid=50, <unknown> not root)

I have tried numerous combinations of folders from my Macintosh HD in Spotlight Privacy tab. The choices are: Applications, Incompatible Software (I assume this is Parallels and Windows), Library, System, User Guides and information and Users. I have always left the Incompatible Software in the Privacy window for it to NOT index. I will once again select one at a time and see which folder will allow reindexing. This will take some time. Happy Thansgiving

Nov 27, 2014 9:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have successfully been able to reindex via Spotlight and for reasons "why".....I have no idea? Your help was very much appreciated. I tried each and every folder in Spotlight individually and then brought them all over to spotlight. Each time I reboot in Yosemite now I get the progress bar under the apple emblem and it goes away for a login screen. Spotlight then does its process upon boot up and the blue progress bar goes away in about a minute. I am assuming this is normal now and glad to not seeing it hang up. Who knows how long this will last? At any rate FYI, the only thing different that I did was to go into iCloud and uncheck my address book and then recheck it. Since you mentioned that I might have a corrupt vcard file this was all that I did. I only wish that I knew what happened to make it work so that I may repeat it if needed. Thanks again.

Dec 8, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Chacamutzy

I'm not sure if this will help, but I also was unable to index Spotlight and Mail after Yosemite (I think after having it a while). I tried the usual things, such as going into Preferences, Spotlight, Privacy, then adding and removing my HD, without success. Also tried the terminal command, sudo mdutil -E /, with message that indexing was turned off. Finally realized it may have something to do with the multiple names that were being given my computer (Imac 2, etc) due to some other glitch I have read about. Went to Sharing, changed the name of my computer back to Imac on the top and on Edit changed it to Imac.local, then re-did the terminal command. Success, able to index!

Dec 8, 2014 2:37 PM in response to markfu

THanks for the advise. I managed to get the spotlight to reindex by deleting some programs that were not "app-store approved". I also deleted Eset anti virus, parallels and windows. The computer is now breathing much better. Backing up the time machine was the next ordeal and only after reindexing completed. Senior tech advisors advised me on how to do this. Quite a process indeed.

Mar 12, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Chacamutzy

I've got a similar issue. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Step 1:

Mar 12 10:49:19 ERROR: where = <RPCChannelRequest()> why = <MDSChannelRequestRPC()> error code = 0x16c9a036 reason = <rpc_s_connection_closed (dce / rpc)>

Mar 12 10:49:19 ERROR: _MDSChannelRPCRequest: RPCChannelRequest failed 5

Mar 12 10:49:19 (Message.Error:142) MDSChannel RPC failure (openQueryWithParams:forContext:)

Mar 12 10:49:19 (Store.Error:273) <MDSDistantStore 0x7fee407ed110 shutdown:NO got shutdown notification:NO>{channel:0x7fee4052d060 localPath:'/Volumes/Backup Drive'} MDSChannel failed -- initiating recovery

Mar 12 12:05:21 -[__NSArrayM objectForKey:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fb95e20a2b0

Mar 12 12:09:15 Failed to obtain sandbox extension for path=/Users/"homedir"/Library/Caches/mdworker. Errno:1

Mar 12 12:09:15 Failed to obtain sandbox extension for path=/Users/"homedir"/Library/Caches/mdworker. Errno:1

Mar 12 12:09:34 -[__NSArrayM objectForKey:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7f8f5072e0c0

Mar 12 12:10:21 Failed to obtain sandbox extension for path=/Users/"homedir"/Library/Caches/mdworker. Errno:1

Mar 12 12:10:21 Failed to obtain sandbox extension for path=/Users/"homedir"/Library/Caches/mdworker. Errno:1

Step 2:

/:

Error: unexpected indexing state. kMDConfigSearchLevelTransitioning

/.MobileBackups:

No index.

/Volumes/Backup Drive:

Server search enabled.

/Volumes/MobileBackups:

Index is read-only.

/Volumes/MobileBackups/Backups.backupdb:

Index is read-only.

Step 3:

There is an "mds_year-month-date-time_computername.crash" log being made quite frequently with "Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)"

Any suggestions?

cannot reindex with spotlight after installing Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.