Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to weed out unwanted work contacts from Address Book based on date stamp?

I accidentally imported my work contacts into the address book. I now have over 1500 contacts and the thought of removing those manually is crazy. The Address Book app that comes with Snow Leopard isn't very flexible. I.e. it is impossible to sort contacts by date they were created/imported and delete a whole range. Using the finder I did locate the files based on a specific date that all the work contacts were imported and can sort the ".abcdp" files, however, simply moving those to trash does absolutely nothing, as the file recreates itself within the "Metadata" folder from the database that Address Book uses. I either need to find an alternative contact manager that will allow me to sort and delete at will or need to somehow delete/modify the database to no longer include the unwanted contacts. PLEASE HELP! :/

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 10:12 PM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2014 5:02 PM in response to luckyal

Run AppleScript Editor and paste this into its edit window:

tell application "Address Book"

set thelot to every person

repeat with thisone in thelot

set thewhen to creation date of thisone

set yearwhen to year of thewhen

if yearwhen = 2014 then

display dialog (name of thisone) as text

end if

end repeat

end tell

Click the green run button in the editor's toolbar and see if the names displayed correspond to those you want removed. You don't have to let the script run to completion (clicking cancel on any of the displays will stop it), once you are satisfied that it is correctly selecting your unwanted imports. Let me know, and I will modify it to delete them instead of displaying them.

Is it possible to weed out unwanted work contacts from Address Book based on date stamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.