Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime Default Camera

Hi Guys,

i have an macbook pro 13" (late 2012), running Yosemite with latest Updates. Its attached to an 24" LED Cinema Display and the lid is closed - i just use the external monitor.

My Problem is: Everytime, FaceTime opens because i receive a video call, it choose the inbuilt isight (which because of closed lid) is deactived. then i have to manually choose the LED Cinema Display iSight in the Facetime -> Video Menu and can accept the Call. To be honest, it drives me crazy 🙂 Because in the meanwhile, it keeps ringing and so on... I cant accept just the call and anything.

So, the question: How can i tell Yosemite or Facetime, which camera to use as Default? Or to rearrange priorities, so it first try the external Display iSight and then the inbuilt macbook pro Cam?

I really searched everywhere, from help section to other boards, googled hours - i cant find any answer.

Does anyone have an idea? i would really appreciate any help!

Best wishes

Ari

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2014 8:27 AM

14 replies

Nov 27, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Today1345

From FaceTime Help:

Choose which camera or microphone to use

If your Mac has multiple cameras and microphones, you can choose which to use for your FaceTime calls.

Open FaceTime for me

In FaceTime, choose a camera or microphone from the Video menu at the top of your computer screen.If there aren’t any cameras or microphones listed, FaceTime uses the built-in camera and microphone.

Nov 27, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Today1345

Hi,

Have you tried setting the camera to the external Screen one before you close the lid on the Macbook ?

How are the screen set up ?

Which display is FaceTime Set to ? (It may make no difference if you are mirroring)

However with both screen active try dragging FaceTime to the External Display.

I don't have a second display to test this with so these are just ideas.

User uploaded file

9:50 PM Thursday; November 27, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 28, 2014 11:36 AM in response to Today1345

Hi,

I have looked at my com.apple.facetime.plist that holds this sort of info.

(In ~/Library/Preferences)

I only have the one internal FaceTime Camera but it does not show as Default.

The Setting listed is actually blank

User uploaded file

The Selected Microphone has 58 and the String. The default Mic at the bottom also has a String set for the Source.

However the Default Camera has nothing.

If you have Xcode it looks like this (with your details at the blurry bits)

User uploaded file

If you look at your .plist (I used Quick Look but TextEdit will also open it) you may see both cameras Listed (one as default and one as Selected).

You could try editing the .plist if it shows some info you can transfer to the Default String field.

At this point what you can't tell is if this .plist is informed by others as to the camera and Mic (there are of course used in Messages and Photo Booth to name two)

User uploaded file

7:36 PM Friday; November 28, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 29, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Today1345

Same MBP+ Apple 24 inch Led Cinema display config, and same issue for me (using French for OS language setting):

Each time i launch FaceTime it is set by default to the MBP (Built-in) FaceTime HD cam, so i have to select the Apple Led Cinema Display iSight cam from Video menu and it will work ... until i quit FaceTime, and relaunch it or get a FaceTime call.

Tried to change the default setting in the com.apple.facetime.plist preferences file and relaunch FaceTime app, but prefs file seems overwritten by FaceTime app when launched (with wrong cam default setting again) ...

One more bug eligible for Radar (dunno if this is a system or loc issue for Benoît 's team)?

Mar 12, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Today1345

I have the same problem. I have a MacBook Pro (Running the latest version of Yosemite) attached to an HDTV in my bedroom. The clamshell is closed, so I cannot use the internal iSight camera.

I purchased a Logitech C920 HD Camera (which I have mounted on top of my HDTV), and a Logitech AK5370 Desktop Microphone (which I keep next to my bed on the nightstand), and with the Facetime app open, I can select both the camera I want, and the Microphone I want under the Video menu. However, as soon as I close Facetime, it forgets my preferences, and goes back to the default setting of using the iSight camera (even though the camera is unusable since the MacBook is closed) and it won't even let me answer a Facetime call until I go into the Video menu again, and change the camera BACK to the Logitech camera. I also have to re-select the microphone every time as well.

Mar 12, 2015 1:47 PM in response to daaaveymac

HI,

The Mic might stay "fixed" if it is the device set in System Preferences > Sound > Input as the choice.

I don't use FaceTime often enough to say if there is a work around.

I have been using Video chat in iChat then Messages for the most part.

I seem to have read somewhere that you can't or rather FaceTime does not remember the camera setting.

You are closing the app rather than ending the previous Chat ?

User uploaded file

8:47 pm Thursday; March 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 12, 2015 2:08 PM in response to daaaveymac

Ahh,

I forget that since Lion's Add on version of FaceTime you cannot use the camera in FaceTime and another app such as iChat or Messages (back to the camera only allowing use in one App).

User uploaded file

9:08 pm Thursday; March 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 22, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Today1345

Same problem here. Since earlier versions (and now in 10.11.1), I every time have to change cam and mic while it connects with the caller. So annoying.

I have two cams (macbook and external), two mics (macbook and webcam), two sound outputs (display and internal speakers).

There isn't one of those settings that Facetime remembers.

😟

@

Facetime Default Camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.