Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8.0 Title Bar missing?

I just updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 and got Safari 8.0 in the bargain.

It's working fine, except there are no title bars on the top of the page. At the very top, I have the RYG traffic light, and next to it my buttons and the search field, but the title bar, which should be above that and display the page title, is missing. There doesn't seem to be a preference or option for this. Am I missing something?

I can't believe Apple did away with something so useful (although their "improvements" aren't always an improvement), so I'm assuming there's something wrong and it's not just a new "feature"

User uploaded file

Thanks for any replies.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2014 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2014 2:03 PM

Title bar that we are familiar with is not available in Safari 8. The new one is a compact one.

You can still grab the window and move it around. Tabs show the titles.

Best.

6 replies

Nov 27, 2014 2:28 PM in response to grumpypup

Thanks.

That's what I was afraid of. It's fine if you only have a couple of tabs open but when you have 5 or more there's apparently no way to see the title of any of them. I guess the only way to do that is to open each page in a separate window and select Show Tab Bar. That defeats the purpose of having tabs in the first place.

That's really not nice, Apple! Why would you do that?

I like Yosemite, and Safari 8 works well, but this is a step backwards in usability. Just like getting rid of the spinning wheels in each tab while the page was loading was a step backwards.

Nov 27, 2014 3:37 PM in response to grumpypup

There are several things about the appearance of yosemite that I don't like, and I just started using it. Mainly the title bars of most applications are so blandly indistinguishable, when I want to click on a title bar and move a window, I often click on the wrong thing, often popping a different window to the top that I don't want...

Now when in Safari, I don't know where I am in within a site unless I click on the url box… Maybe there is a preference setting, so much to figure out.

As for your complaint, I think it is that you cannot see the complete descriptive title of the web page when several tabs are open. If you just place the mouse curser on the tab, and leave it there for a second or two (be patient!), the complete title appears in a pop up display box. If you move to another tab after that, usually the display box comes up without the 1-2 second delay. Usually, but not always. Usually, but not always? I'm still figuring some of this out. If you move on top the "x" close box, it eventually pops up an entirely different message, and sometimes when you get that, then it doesn't pop up the title even if you move off the box, you have to move completely off that tab and then back on again.

I've always hated the close box within the tab : When using tabs, if you want to view the web page that has a tab, then click on tab, EXCEPT don't click anywhere on the left part of the tab otherwise you might click on the previously invisible close box which then does the opposite of what you want, it closes the tab! It is a bit better in Firefox, but still bad design.

The descriptive title pop up thing worked in the old safari, at least in 6.2, also.

When only one tab is open, I'm not sure how to see the descriptive title at all, except go to the top menu bar and click on window, and look at what has the check mark? Time to experiment with preferences. Grrr.

Nov 27, 2014 4:35 PM in response to Bob R Oregon

place the mouse curser on the tab, and leave it there for a second or two (be patient!), the complete title appears in a pop up

OK, that's more like it. You still can't cycle through them, but at least, if you're patient you can see them. <sigh!>

I already used the thanks button so I can't use it again, but this did help.✅

When only one tab is open, I'm not sure how to see the descriptive title at all, except go to the top menu bar and click on window, and look at what has the check mark?

If it's only one window you can go to View > Show All Tabs, and it will appear as a single tab that looks like a title bar, but it will be below the search bar and favs bar, instead of above them. Of course, opening another tab or two shortens it again. .

Jan 8, 2015 5:48 PM in response to grumpypup

I accidentally discovered a "show tabs" feature a while ago, and just stumbled upon where it is documented. At the very end of

Mac Basics: Multi-Touch gestures - Apple Support

There is a "Show Safari tabs" gesture. If you are at zoom of actual size (or smaller) and you pinch IN (the photo erroneously shows "out") you can then scroll through your tabs. This means you can't use pinch in to zoom to smaller than actual size, you have to use command -

If you don't have a trackpad or magic mouse, I guess this doesn't help you.

Not exactly what you wanted, but now that I know what I'm doing, I think I'm going to like it.

Jan 9, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Bob R Oregon

Thanks for the reply, but that really doesn't address the issue.

I think Apple really dropped the ball on this one. If you have a page of links and you open more than 12 of them in tabs, the original tab with all the links shrinks to the point where you can't select it with one click anymore, you have to get close and select it again. Or accidentally click the close button and lose it entirely. And if you do have a bunch of tabs open, you can't see the full page title anymore if you control-tab through them.

I'm guessing Apple did this because nobody is going to have 12 tabs open on an ios device, and they're trying to consolidate the OS'es, but they should have at least given those of us who use a computer the option/preference to see a title bar. They shouldn't just get rid of it entirely because they decide we don't need it.

Safari 8.0 Title Bar missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.