Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my apple tv can't find or connect to my itunes library

Hi my Apple TV can't find or connect to my library

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Nov 27, 2014 2:07 PM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2014 6:25 AM in response to lassefromnora

Hi lassefromnora,

Happy Holidays! The article below will walk you through the steps to set up Home Sharing so your iTunes library will connect with your Apple TV. I've extracted the main points below. Click on the link for full details and screenshots.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203311

To use Home Sharing, you need the latest version of iTunes open on a computer that is not in sleep mode. Additionally, you should install any available updates for your version of Windows or Mac OS X.

Home Sharing requires all computers, iOS devices, and Apple TVs (2nd generation and 3rd generation) to use the same Apple ID.

To verify your intended Apple ID is enabled on all of your devices:

On Apple TV, navigate to Settings > Computers
and look in the bottom-left.
User uploaded file

On your computer, open iTunes. Open the File menu and select Home Sharing. If the incorrect Apple ID is listed in iTunes, do the following:

1. Go to File > Home Sharing and choose Turn Off Home Sharing.
    2. Choose File > Home Sharing > Turn On Home Sharing.
    3. When prompted, enter the Apple ID you'd like to use.
    4. Click Turn On Home Sharing, then Done.
      User uploaded file

Home Sharing requires a home network with an active Internet connection. All the devices you want to use with Home Sharing need to be connected to your home network.

In addition, verify that:

• All your devices are connected to the same router, if you have multiple routers.
    • If your computer is asleep or shutdown, or iTunes is closed, there's no access to the shared iTunes library. Wake up or start the computer and open iTunes to regain access to that library.
    • Your router needs to be up-to-date. If you are using an AirPort or Time Capsule, learn about firmware updates. If you are using a router from another manufacturer, contact the manufacturer to inquire about available updates.

If you have a firewall enabled in your router or computer, make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication between your computers. Home Sharing uses TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 to communicate with shared iTunes libraries.

In addition, Apple TV and Mac computers will use port 123 to set the time automatically. Incorrect date and time on either the computer or Apple TV can cause errors for Home Sharing and connections in general.

For Mac OS X, you don't have to edit the port addresses, but make sure the firewall in Apple () menu > System Preferences > Security > Firewall are not set to:

• Block all incoming connections
  • Allow only essential services

If connectivity issues persist, quit and reopen iTunes on your computer. Then, quit and reopen the apps on your iOS device.

Restart your home network router by disconnecting the power cord for thirty seconds or more.

For Apple TV to access your library while the host computer is asleep, "Wake for network access" must be turned on.

Open System Preferences > Energy Saver and select (enable) the "Wake for network access" option.

In addition, the network that the host computer and the Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) is connected to must support Wake on Demand feature.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Nov 30, 2014 7:23 AM in response to judysings

I am currently having a problem with my AppleTV connecting to my iTunes library on my Mac. I am using Mac 10.9.5 and iTunes 12.0.1.26. Ihave downloaded the latest upgrade for my AppleTV 3. I can access Netflix and YouTube thru my ATV but not my iTunes library. I have tried all suggested ideas but nothing helps. Are you aware of any compatibility issues with the latest version of iTunes and ATV? Thanks

Terry

my apple tv can't find or connect to my itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.