Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my computer keeps going to sleep with never selected

I am trying to update to the new software but my system keeps going to sleep, effectively booting me off the net and not uploading the software. I have the energy saver and system display to "never" along with the wake for network selected so that it would still download software. But it DOESN'T! After 1 day of dealing with this I'm quite frustrated. Any ideas? I've also restarted after selecting never for both. Still goes to sleep/screen saver...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 27, 2014 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 2:39 AM

Hello Flygirl1973

If it's a OS X Server.

these may not solve your problem directly but may

1- Make sure you have energy savings set correctly for both Power AND battery if it is a laptop,

2- Uncheck require password after screen saver in In System Preferences > Security And Privacy > General Tab

3- In System Preferences > Security And Privacy > General Tab

At the bottom left, unlock acces with admin password if needed

At the bottom right, clic the advances button

Make sure you have unchecked the "Logout after (n) minutes".

Now, according to other posts, OS X may not be speaking to the EFI, the part that loads when a computer is turned on an does a truckload of system check way before booting OS X.

You can alway "Zap the PRAM" at start.

Reboot, instantly hold Command+Option+P+R keys, it should reboot again, review all three settings listed up there.

This energy saver thing has shown to be problematic and 3rd party software can interfere with it.

Some command I never used but found a moment ago and you should search discussions for is PM Set. (power Manager Set.

In terminal:

pmset -g ups

pmset -g disk

will give you nerdy results about disk and screen sleep configurations.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2014 2:39 AM in response to flygirl1973

Hello Flygirl1973

If it's a OS X Server.

these may not solve your problem directly but may

1- Make sure you have energy savings set correctly for both Power AND battery if it is a laptop,

2- Uncheck require password after screen saver in In System Preferences > Security And Privacy > General Tab

3- In System Preferences > Security And Privacy > General Tab

At the bottom left, unlock acces with admin password if needed

At the bottom right, clic the advances button

Make sure you have unchecked the "Logout after (n) minutes".

Now, according to other posts, OS X may not be speaking to the EFI, the part that loads when a computer is turned on an does a truckload of system check way before booting OS X.

You can alway "Zap the PRAM" at start.

Reboot, instantly hold Command+Option+P+R keys, it should reboot again, review all three settings listed up there.

This energy saver thing has shown to be problematic and 3rd party software can interfere with it.

Some command I never used but found a moment ago and you should search discussions for is PM Set. (power Manager Set.

In terminal:

pmset -g ups

pmset -g disk

will give you nerdy results about disk and screen sleep configurations.

Nov 30, 2014 2:56 AM in response to estrois.me.com

Trying that now, FYI my computer would not reboot using the key strokes you gave me. I'm hoping this works!! Thanks for your time! Life's too short not to try! Anna

From: Apple Support Communities Updates <discussions-updates@apple.com>

To: flygirl1973 <flygirl1973@yahoo.com>

Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:10 PM

Subject: - my computer keeps going to sleep with never selected

Apple Support Communities updates#yiv1248985413 a, #yiv1248985413 a.yiv1248985413aapl-link, #yiv1248985413 a.yiv1248985413aapl-link:link {text-decoration:none;color:#08c;}#yiv1248985413 p #yiv1248985413 a.yiv1248985413aapl-link:hover {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1248985413 body _filtered #yiv1248985413 {}#yiv1248985413 _filtered #yiv1248985413 {}#yiv1248985413 * .filtered99999 #yiv1248985413 * .filtered99999 #yiv1248985413 * .filtered99999 #yiv1248985413 * .filtered99999 #yiv1248985413 #yiv1248985413 _filtered #yiv1248985413 {}#yiv1248985413 td .filtered99999 {padding-left:20px!important;padding-right:20px!important;}#yiv1248985413 table #yiv1248985413 table .filtered99999 , #yiv1248985413 table .filtered99999 tbody, #yiv1248985413 table .filtered99999 tr, #yiv1248985413 table .filtered99999 td #yiv1248985413 td img {max-width:100%!important;height:auto!important;}#yiv1248985413 td .filtered99999 {}#yiv1248985413 a.yiv1248985413button #yiv1248985413

|

|

|

|

|

|

You received a reply

|

|

|

estrois.me.com has replied to your question. You can view the full discussion in Apple Support Communities.

|

|

|

|

Hello Flygirl1973 If it's a OS X Server. these may not solve your problem directly but may 1- Make sure you have energy savings set correctly for both Power AND battery if it is a laptop,2- Uncheck require password after screen saver in In System Preferences > Security And Privacy > General Tab3- In System Preferences > Security And Privacy > General TabAt the bottom left, unlock acces with admin password if neededAt the bottom right, clic the advances buttonMake sure you have unchecked the "Logout after (n) minutes". Now, according to other posts, OS X may not be speaking to the EFI, the part that loads when a computer is turned on an does a truckload of system check way before booting OS X. You can alway "Zap the PRAM" at start. Reboot, instantly hold CommandOptionP+R keys, it should reboot again, review all three settings listed up there. This energy saver thing has shown to be problematic and 3rd party software can interfere with it. Some command I never used but found a moment ago and you should search discussions for is PM Set. (power Manager Set. In terminal: pmset -g ups pmset -g disk will give you nerdy results about disk and screen sleep configurations.

|

|

|

|

Correct Answer Helpful Answer

|

Use the buttons above to tell estrois.me.com and the rest of the community if this reply solved your question or helped you get closer to finding a solution.

To reply to estrois.me.com, go to the discussion in Apple Support Communities.

|

|

You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.

TM and copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM. Cupertino, CA 95014.

All Rights Reserved

Privacy Policy

Terms of Use

Apple Support

Nov 30, 2014 10:01 PM in response to flygirl1973

Hello Again,

Hope you found out your problem's answer and post it here,

Further down the road, reading about Network Home Folders availability to pop back being compromised by various sleep modes with wake on network, ethernet, wifi, where unselecting this feature solved a problem, I learned that Airport Extremes and Apple TV have sleep proxies to wake computer up with or without turning screen on and many more features.

Having sleep proxies might tell your computer to nap, even if you say no in energy savings, as sleep proxy state is not in a complete sleep mode.

See : Network accounts missing home folder after waking up

and About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2014 12:15 AM in response to estrois.me.com

Although I never got my computer to re-boot the way you asked, I re-started after going through your step by step process and it worked! I now have the new OX software and even office software in one day. Fantastic. Thank you so much for saving me money and time and even from pulling my hair out or throwing the computer against a wall. 🙂 Just kidding, I love my Mac, but I was really frustrated. I had even down loaded an app to not put it to sleep and it still went to sleep. Again thanks for your help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.