Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 plus - overheating issue

I just took possession of my new iPhone 6 Plus and have been very concerned about it overheating - not warm - not hot - very very hot! It is not because it is being charged as it overheats no matter what I am doing with it. Making calls, texting or using apps even when not plugged in to the charger. This seems like it could be a dangerous as well as inconvenient flaw. I have read online that some others are having this issue too but the responses that they get from tech support are almost insultingly unhelpful.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1, less than a week old

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 2:32 AM

11 replies

Dec 7, 2017 6:23 PM in response to HeyWend

I used to get this too but it eventually went away after an iOS update. Just did the most recent update to iOS 11.2 and overheating phone has started again. Probably a coincidence but my imac has also been running very hot for the last few weeks since the last OS X update (very hot to touch, fans running loud).

Phone seems ok so far after a full reset. Trying the same with the iMac.

Dec 2, 2014 11:22 PM in response to HeyWend

Same issue with mine. only started after IOS 8.02. I'm now on 8.1.1 (hoped that would fix things but no) Phone gets so hot I can't hold it to my head to make a call and the battery drains in about 30 mins. Generally I have to close all apps and do a hard reset. I have to do this 5-6 times a day at least. Ive read the Blogs etc and seems lots of people facing this issue. I've also done everything thats recomended to try and fix it with no success - and I'm really, really , really tired of having to do a complete factory reset and recovery from my backup, which take hours. Just sitting here doing another one now 😟

I've literally wasted days trying to fix this. My phone is my key work device and with it overheating like this makes it almost unusable. I've taken to the Apple Store, not much help, said come back again if it keeps doing it - I'm going back again this weekend - more wasted time!!!! Also faced lots of Bluetooth issue and Phone also randomly hangs, won't open apps etc until I do the good old hard reset.

I've had iPhones since ver 1 , as does all my family, and this is without a doubt the worst Apple experience I've had. All my other kit is Apple or I would have gone to Android weeks ago - I suppose the Apple "lock in" keeps their service levels at the crappy level that they are. They know it's hard for us to change, but it's rapidly getting to the stage where I might just face the pain and make the change.

Dec 3, 2014 2:24 AM in response to BigOzPete

Yes. I completely understand. My phone is also my mobile office. I cannot take hours of downtime without losing business. It's a shame that after a week, no one from Apple customer care/support has bothered to address this 😟. I suppose that is the attitude of a company who feel they have a comfortable lead on a monopoly - rightly or wrongly.

Dec 3, 2014 5:56 AM in response to HeyWend

HeyWend wrote:

Yes. I completely understand. My phone is also my mobile office. I cannot take hours of downtime without losing business. It's a shame that after a week, no one from Apple customer care/support has bothered to address this 😟. I suppose that is the attitude of a company who feel they have a comfortable lead on a monopoly - rightly or wrongly.

This is a user-to-user technical support forum, something that was explained in the Terms of Use to which you agreed when you signed up. Apple customer or technical supoprt will not be addressing your issue here. If you want Apple Technical support (and it sounds as if you my have a hardware problem), either make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or contact AppleCare. All the contact information for Apple can be found at the Contact Us link at the bottom right of every page.

And Apple isn't even close to meeting the U.S. legal definition of a monopoly, by the way.

Dec 3, 2014 2:27 PM in response to BigOzPete

BigOzPete wrote:

So Meg, if you actually read my response you will have seen that I have already been into Apple to try get it fixed and am booked to go again!

Looks like you work for Apple, with this non committal non useful comment. Per your comment this is a user to user help forum, thanks for the help!!!

As Chris noted, I wasn't replying to you. And, if you had read the my response, you'd know I don't work for Apple. As far as helping you, no, not with that attitude!

Apr 2, 2015 7:08 PM in response to HeyWend

I am on my second 6 Plus. The first one inexplicably died never to be revived. Apple also replaced my charger that also quit.

The other day while charging my 6 with my laptop & in the midst of a phone call (about 10 - 15 mins in), the phone seized, dropping my call & prohibiting me from doing anything with it for about 5 mins. The phone was pretty hot! I have a Pong protective cover (which I immediately pulled off & a ballistic glass screen protector on the phone. I also unplugged my 6 from the laptop. It seemed to take quite awhile for it to cool down.

I have been reading this forum with all of the comments on 6's overheating. I am very concerned about this issue. I am assuming that when the phone gets hot, the glass & the cover do help, but can imagine not having them as the phone is pretty vulnerable without them. I have turned off the "background app refresh" off as some have suggested. I don't have to my knowledge, any apps that are running draining power or heating it up.

When I called Apple Tech, I was told that the aftermarket cord that I was using to charge the phone off my Macbook Pro could have caused this overheating, Sounds really unlikely to me! And not particularly interested in repeating the experiment with my Apple cord.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else ever had this particular slice of incident?

Mahalo for your time & help!

Apr 25, 2015 6:11 PM in response to tadgv

Wife and I just bought brand new iPhone 6's and both get so hot you can't hold them. This is not happening just during charging or max screen brightness use and happens in normal cool room temperatures and without cases or anything reducing their cooling surface. Extremely bad when using video Skype or FaceTime. Ironically by placing a case around the iphone 6 is the only way we've been able to insulate the extreme heat from hurting our hands under extended use. These are going back to Apple. Have not heard or seen any solutions from anyone here or Apple Support.

Apr 25, 2015 7:53 PM in response to AmberGlenn

AmberGlenn wrote:

Wife and I just bought brand new iPhone 6's and both get so hot you can't hold them. This is not happening just during charging or max screen brightness use and happens in normal cool room temperatures and without cases or anything reducing their cooling surface. Extremely bad when using video Skype or FaceTime. Ironically by placing a case around the iphone 6 is the only way we've been able to insulate the extreme heat from hurting our hands under extended use. These are going back to Apple. Have not heard or seen any solutions from anyone here or Apple Support.

Returning them would be the correct move if they are within the return period.

iPhone 6 plus - overheating issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.