Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini (2014) displays wrong colors after wake-up

After display and CPU had gone into sleep mode during reactivation the display colors are completely off! Disconnecting and reconnecting the display solves the problem immediately! Has anyone experienced similar problems? Is it related to Yosemite or to the graphic chip of the new Mac Mini?

The display is connected via DVI - mini display port adapter.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 8:04 AM

21 replies

Nov 15, 2017 1:55 AM in response to jurap

I'm afraid it isn't a fix. I've done that twice and it still happens.

Sometimes it's just a screen as if all the red hue is missing. Sometimes the screen just doesn't wake up and I have to force reboot.

Took one Mac mini back to the store, had the video card replaced. Took it back again a month later. Got a new Mac mini. Still have the issue.

Jan 24, 2015 4:36 AM in response to tstpilot

I can report that I have the same issue; the screen looks like as if it had switched to an indexed palette and ran out of colors. Going to "Displays" and fiddling with some buttons normalizes the situation.

The issue was first observed today, after using the machine for a week. I installed Google Earth yesterday. I'm not saying that the two are necessarily related.

A Late 2014 Mac Mini, OS X 10.10.1 and using a Thunderbolt monitor (no other TB peripherals connected).

Jun 5, 2015 4:43 AM in response to tstpilot

I have the same issue, brand new Mac Mini purchased last week. Very reduced color map with artifacts after waking from sleep. I'm connecting using thunderbolt to display port on my monitor. My mini has a 256G flash drive for the system drive if that makes any difference - plus a quad-bay external USB3 disk farm and time machine drive.

Jul 29, 2015 4:22 AM in response to tstpilot

Same issue here. Also noting some cracking noises coming from either the attached speakers or the mac itself (not sure which). The situation got worse yesterday when the monitor refused to turn on for more than a few milliseconds. Restarting the mac has solved the issue temporarily but I don't know when it will return. Very annoyed as the mac is less than 2 months old and this is a serious issue which affects its usage.

Sep 22, 2015 12:59 PM in response to tstpilot

Hello everyone, it started some time in July with some new system software update of OS X, before that MacMini was performing great. After that update the color distortion problem keeps reappearing almost regularly. It seems to be a software issue. When distortion appears (and your monitor wakes from sleep - sometimes it won't) login, go to System preferences (if you can see anything) / Displays / Color as you hit Colour, the color distortion disappears. Have no idea why is this happening. Tried all restarts, hooked, unhooked everything, even tried a different monitor and a different monitor recharger (Apple Cinema 20'') with the same results. Did anyone find a solution to this? Is it a hardware problem of the built-in graphics card? Any advice is appreciated as this is starting to be ridiculous. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2015 3:59 AM in response to tstpilot

I have this issue aswell. Seems to me the outputs/gpu on mini's are garbage. Had to buy an adapter (thunderbolt to dvi) because the hdmi port would refuse to wake the monitor up. Now every time I wake it I get artefacts and need to either switch ports or restart to fix it. Pretty bad considering this things 4 months old...

mac mini (2014) displays wrong colors after wake-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.