Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Normal USB usage causes Yosemite to Freeze

Since 10.10 and 10.10.1 Yosemite has been freezing me out of the OS on my 2014 Retina MBP.

It happens regularly when a new USB device is plugged in, or when an already plugged in device has an alteration in it's state of power. The result is that all mouse and keyboard input is impaired/frozen. This includes the trackpad, built in keyboard and external mouse. No amount of plugging and unplugging restores access to the computer. The system still seems to be running as the odd email notification will come up, and once I had a large folder of files copying that seemed to finish. To restore use, I need to force restart.

Other times, plugging in or removing (gracefully) a USB device will interrupt audio playing through my USB sound card, which goes silent for a second, or squeals at a speaker/ear piercing 10,000 Hz. This, and with Ableton live 9 freezing itself every 5 minutes makes using this thing for audio production completely useless.

The triggers so far have been...

• Switching my Remote SL midi keyboard off and on again
  • Switching my Motu Mk3 Ultralight on or off
  • Switching my DN-MC6000 on or off
  • Unplugging all of the above directly from the USB port (i.e. hot swap)

Note: I have tried plugging in to my Dlink USB2 hub and also directly into the MBP. The Dlink has been very stable in the past, although audio equipment, and many other USB devices seem to prefer being plugged in to the root port. It's ironic that Apple applies form over function when it comes to the number of USB ports provided, yet seems so unstable when an external hub is used.

Note that the laptop came with Mavericks, and one of the first things I did before installing anything else was accept the Yosemite upgrade. So technically it's not a clean install. But there should have been very little in the way of system files that needed to make the transition.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 12:09 PM

33 replies

Jan 25, 2017 9:08 PM in response to square_eyes

Same issue here on my 13" rMBP on Yosemite 10.10.5. I also have a lot of music production equipment connected

A MOTU Ultralite Mk3 like the OP

Two Midi controllers (AKAI Advance & Maschine MK2) connected via my monitors usb hub.

I think there is starting to be a pattern of music related devices... I wonder if this is hardware based or if its something related to the audio/midi settings in it. Any updates from anyone else?

Jun 27, 2017 4:13 AM in response to square_eyes

Did anybody solved this?

I have similar problem.
After switching off my Jupiter 50 synthesizer that is connected via USB to my iMac, I get message on the screen 'connection lost' (wireless mouse and keyboard stop responding + my external drive is not ejected properly) and I need to force shutdown Mac and restart once or twice to get everything to work again.
After that, if I am lucky, I can switch off my synth once or twice before I get 'lost connection' message again.

same thing was happening on my Mac Book Pro last year.

what's going on?
can anybody from Apple respond to this tread???

Jan 13, 2015 7:01 PM in response to square_eyes

Try testing without anything but a keyboard and mouse connected. Plug and unplug common things like USB drives or your Camera.

It may be one of these or the required drivers (if they have any):

• Remote SL midi keyboard
  • Motu Mk3 Ultralight
  • DN-MC6000

If all of those are disconnected and something like a thumb drive causes problems, uninstall the software for all of those things and see if things like a thumb drive or hub works ok. You can test this by booting into Safe Mode which should disable any of the extensions required for those items:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Jan 13, 2015 7:26 PM in response to Barney-15E

Just to correct on my previous post. It happened when my USB2 hub was plugged in to the USB 3 hub (and USB 2 keyboard and mouse plugged in to that). I can't replicate the issue with my powered USB 3 hub alone. So far I think I have narrowed it down to powered USB 2 devices, with or without a hub.

Barney, I'll look at your suggestion. Note though that only the Ultralight had a specific installer. The other two use the default OSX USB drivers.

Mar 26, 2015 10:34 AM in response to square_eyes

When I unplug and reconnect my Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic mouse, it completely freezes Yosemite, and I need to perform a hard reset. I have no mouse drivers installed. The only other device I have plugged in at the same time is an Apple Thunderbolt Network adapter.

This has happened to me about five times recently. I've tried to reproduce this issue purposefully, to capture the event logs, but without success.

Aug 16, 2015 1:28 PM in response to square_eyes

I just bought a new MacBook Pro Retina 2.8GHz in June and I've been having the same issue of USB activity (on/off/add/remove) causing the built-in trackpad and keyboard to stop working. The computer came with Yosemite but I did a clean install of Mavericks because many Native Instruments AU/VSTs were not working with Yosemite. With this new MacBook I started using an external 10 port USB 3.0 hub from Anker and almost anytime I add/remote turn on/off any USB 2.0 devices (APC40, Maschine, APCmini, Arturia Laboratory) the keyboard and trackpad go silent and requiring a reboot. I've also had this happen when plugging USB 2.0 devices directly into the computer. For some reason the computer's USB ports are acting very finicky and it's extremely frustrating.

I'll keep adding additional details to this thread until there's a solution or workaround.

Normal USB usage causes Yosemite to Freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.