Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore iPhone 6 - unknown error occurred (53)

I am unable to restore my iPhone 6 with ios 8.1, an error keep popping that says "an unknown error occurred (53)". I have seen many forums and many people seems to have this problem with their iPhone 6 but no one have a solution yet. I think its time for apple to stand up and give us a solution instead of being quite. Its been just a week since I bought by phone and now its unusable. We don't want to purchase your expensive phones just to use for a week and throw it away because of an unknown error. If apple cannot give us a solution for this then whats the point of purchasing an iPhone? I do hope apple would respond to this thread.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 12:34 PM

3 replies

May 24, 2015 8:48 PM in response to samah5751

I've had the exact same problem. Touch ID stopped working and turned itself off in Settings. Got an error when I tried to turn it back on so I backed everything up and tried a restore, got half way through to 'verifying software' and then 'Unabled to restore 'Jamie's iPhone" iPhone. Unknown error (53)". Apple advised me to try different USB cable, different port, different MacBook and different version of iTunes. Eventaully they asked me to take it in to the authorised repair shop in Singapore. They have sent it off for inspection but warned that because it had a few dents on the corner that Apple may refuse to fix it under warranty.

There are other posts on here that also point to faulty Touch ID sensor or the if the sensor is replaced they get the same error. There is obviously a problem with these fingerprint scanners which causes error 53. I'll be very annoyed if Apple don't replace my phone and try to use the dents as an excuse to cover up what is an obvious fault.

Unable to restore iPhone 6 - unknown error occurred (53)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.